Thermo-King "Isuzu" Diesel

Bobus

Powerstroked
Has anyone had many dealings with one of these? Came off a Reefer Unit, Dunno the year or anything, but I believe its a 34hp.. Just curious as to if there good little engines, Parts easy to find, Easy to rebuild i suppose.. Thinking of swapping it into my Willys Jeep

Hmm makes me think it may be a little small for the Jeep

I worked @ TK for a few years. They are very reliable engines in their intended design. We had very few problems with them compared to the new yanmar ones(HG problems). I think it would be a little small for a jeep though.

ive taken refer units apart with 21000 hours on the clock.. i think most are rated at 46hp but you can turn them up a bit. i had a mazda pickup with one, i put a hy35 in the bed and it ran good, made 7psi like that.. got 32mpg with it.

ive taken refer units apart with 21000 hours on the clock.. i think most are rated at 46hp but you can turn them up a bit. i had a mazda pickup with one, i put a hy35 in the bed and it ran good, made 7psi like that.. got 32mpg with it.

I really don't know much about this unit.. I can get it for free, and it would make a sweet replacement to my Jeeps 134 F-Head engine ('59 Willys). And if i can add a Turbo and bump the Timing/fuel to get a bit more power even better..

One of the 2.2L's?

Not sure.. I'm gonna look at it closer tomorrow

Last edited:
I've got an Isuzu pup with a 2.2 diesel, I wonder if its the same engine

all the refers with the 4cy isuzu motors i dealt with had the same motor as my truck. i think with would be great in a willys..

Awesome little engines only issues we had with them was the water pump in the reefer chassis.

Sent from my smartass phone

all the refers with the 4cy isuzu motors i dealt with had the same motor as my truck. i think with would be great in a willys..

I'm hoping that this is the case with my engine.. Cause I need to find a Different oil pan.. It's a '90 model, According to the hour meter it has 42,853hrs, Last oil/Filter Changed at 42,801. Gonna try to start it tommorow
0511121839.jpg

Last edited:
Back