Thinkin about buyin an 02 Jetta

7.3 Strokin

im getting ready to head off to college and will be making a 3 hour trip (one way) every weekend so i thought i would park the max while doing that and try to find something wit a little better mileage, i found an 02 TDI jetta.

it has 146K on it i was just wandering what kinda miles to expect out of these things.
also what kinda things should i look for when looking at it?
any information would be great.

yeah your prolly right.
one of my friends has owned it since it was new, it was his first car back when he was 16, he is now 21. its not even like really "for sale" he said he wouldnt mind gettin rid of it cuz he has had it for so long and just wants something different.

do these cars start having a lot of problems with that many miles?

i have an 2001 vw golf tdi. bought it for about $11k with 110000 miles. it now has over 150,000 miles. bought it in may of 2006. absolutely love it.

if you check out the tdi-club.com or something like that... lots of info.

you can buy special oil in bulk, book says to change oil every 10000 miles. no issues there. for about $40, you can buy an oil extrator that the tdi sites sell. stick the tube down the dip stick and suck. you wouldn't believe how well it works. anyways. my 4 cents. i'm out.

Every one I have ever personaly touched or seen in the shop at work has had a 1/2 qt of oil sitting in the intercooler. Oil leaks in multiple places, the interiors are a joke in durability. Think of them as the 88 Calavier of Europe.

And Im counting cars with as little as 20k miles. Ive seen busted interiors on cars with even 1200 miles. These are not cars that have been abused.

Look for a 98 Civic HX or LX 5spd, they 38 mpg on the low side.

i have an 2001 vw golf tdi. bought it for about $11k with 110000 miles. it now has over 150,000 miles. bought it in may of 2006. absolutely love it.

i know this kid hasn had any problems out of it at all. have you had anything major out of yours?

i have a duramax, that i drive, im just looking for something to beat the fuel prices a little and not put wear on my truck for bull **** erronds

Every one I have ever personaly touched or seen in the shop at work has had a 1/2 qt of oil sitting in the intercooler. Oil leaks in multiple places, the interiors are a joke in durability. Think of them as the 88 Calavier of Europe.

And Im counting cars with as little as 20k miles. Ive seen busted interiors on cars with even 1200 miles. These are not cars that have been abused.

Look for a 98 Civic HX or LX 5spd, they 38 mpg on the low side.

thanks for the advice, ill check around for that! i appreciate your help.

I bought an 02 Golf TDI a while back ....Its only got 67K on it and so far so good......Its a 5sp though....I've heard to stay away from the Auto's

Only probs I seem to be having are nit picky stuff......Antenna on radio clip broke...easy fix.....my radio installer friend took care of it..

now I've got a weird alarm issue.....going off by itself inthe middle of the night.....Another friend of mine works for a local VW dealer....he says he just has to dianose which mech. in which door is acting up and replace it..

Seems like these are good cars but VW just has some quaility issue's with elec., interior, and a few other area's......But I guess they could be hit or miss....

my $. 25.......ha

OH yeah, my CEL stays on now because of a coolant temp sensor code it keeps throwing.......not gonna worry about it unless I get ready to sell...

I've got a 00 Jetta TDI 5sp, bought with 132k miles just over a month ago, now has 137k and several dozen dragstrip passes on it (including winning an NHRDA event with me driving, and a semi-final at an NHRDA National with Jetta Girl driving). It gets 44 mpg in the city, 50+ while driving well in excess of speed limits on the highway. It has its share of little interior parts broken (glovebox hinge, ashtray cover), but otherwise has worn pretty well.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I have a '00 Jetta TDI 5spd. Avg. 44 in town and 50mpg hwy, but have a heavy foot and drive 80-85mph on the hwy. I bought it with 76k miles and has 123k now. I am currently installing a timing belt on it, which parts were $300 plus special tools which were $200, but I know I will make my money back on the tools.

Only problems with the interior is door panels paint peeling.

Only problems with wiring is the glow plug harness.

It is a point A to point B car I bought to abuse here around Houston, and to keep miles off my truck. It is perfect for what I want and use it for.

I have a 01 Jetta TDI with 138,000 no problems. Change the oil every 10k with synthetic and no problems. Timing belt every 60k or 100k depends on which belt. Always replace the water pump at the same time. 42-46mpg and run the pi** out of it BTW its an auto.

Back