Throttle Indexing

ComeandTakeIt

So as some of you have responded I have swapped my Inj pump. Had a few issues and have them all remedied now. Onto hopefully something a little more fun..

Throttle Indexing: The truck would just fire right up if i bumped the key for about a second. Now I have to be 1/4 to 1/2 half throttle to start... Even then it kinda "rolls into it". I had a slight issue when putting it into gear it would stall out and same thing when I turned on the AC. Bumped the idle screw (just slightly) and solved that.

Wondering if I do not have enough tension on the Gov. spring? Does this sound familiar to anyone? I went through the tech articles and didn't find anything.

Thoughts?

Boatie

Tonight I checked, and changed the index on the throttle shaft. Good news and bad (in a matter of speaking) news:

The index was "set" as everyone was suggesting. 2 marks from the top left.
It has 8 marks
I jumped a tooth clockwise and the truck wouldn't even idle. So I came counterclockwise 2 teeth. So to the 3rd mark down on the left. It idled REALLY high so I killed the motor. I then backed off the high idle screw to see if that was going to help. NOPE :rof .... So I set the index back where it was.

The question is now what could I be missing? I would like the truck to just "fire" up when I bump the key for a second.

Mostly I am having a good time learning all I can with you guys help.

Thanks, Boatie

This problem is fairly common with trucks that have had a stiffer governor spring installed.

Somewhere (I can't recall where) there's instructions on how to re-index the throttle arm to the shaft to where it operates correctly, something about forcing the arms one way or another and you hear a "snap".

I can't quite recall all of it. :(

I think it was posted here, or on 4btswaps.com
Might have been DTR or 1stgen, too.

Mark.

Thanks Mark!
I'll start looking for that link around the web. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone beat me to it. I will post up when I find it though.

Boatie

Back