Throttle position sensor. Tps. WI'll a 3930318 fit?

samiam44

I'm seeing this Cummins number listed for 94-98, but in the pictures it looks like ours. Nearly half the cost.

Other option is smp makes the th245 which is made in the usa.. about $250 and lifetime warranty.

Third option is China made part on epay for 10-30 dollars.

I'd prefer the Cummins part and get another 160,000 miles.

What does the group suggest.

Michael

Did some comparing today. The gen 2 sensor is clocked about 10 degrees, but everything else appears identical.

If they both have give the computer the same min and max computer range, we have a winner. Th175!!

I looked at them briefly at the store, need to go back and check to make sure the direction is the same. There is a slight angle difference which I think just removing the spacers will work..
M

You having a hard time finding the TPS for the first gen ?

I'll give it a try bc847. If it is reliable, it will be a first for me from China.

How long and how many miles do you have on it?

Just as an FYI:

I keep having issues with my TPS. It seems the thing won't stay properly adjusted. It works correctly for a while and then goes to crap.
- I thought maybe I've essentially worn the TPS adjustment thingy loose by constantly readjusting it (holds setting via an interference-fit between the set-screw and the TPS adapter thingy).
- So I figure the best thing is for me to once again, properly set it, and basically glue things in place.

OK, fine. Works just fine for a short while and back to being ill-adjusted. WTH? So, I get to ciphering on it and . . . . . DUH!

- The TPS adjustable adapter thingy has a key on it that fits in a slot of the TPS mounting bracket.
- The slot seems to limit the rotation of the TPS. OK, fine.

>DING!< We all remove the throttle's high-speed set-screw so we can allow full fueling. This allows the IP's throttle to rotate effectively as far as the fuel pedal can turn it.

-> The full fueling throttle rotation is now rotating further than the TPS's mounting bracket will allow the TPS adjustment widget to rotate.

Crap!

So, cut the slot in the TPS mounting bracket perhaps an additional 1/8th inch.

TPS-Bracket_zpskrernako.jpg

Make sense?

Pressing things to WOT now no longer screws-up the TPS setting.

I wonder how many people have removed the throttle's high-speed set-screw, just to eventually abandon the TPS because it no longer seems to work right? Especially those who swap the throttle-rod to the inner hole on the IP's bell-crank.

Back