Timing a P-Pump to a 24 valve

cummins01dw

Bad Grammer man lol
Ok probly goen to get ripped on for asking this but here goes. LOL I want to P-Pump my 01 I have over 300,000 miles on the original VP pump! Thank God for after market lift pumps! LOL. So do I use the timing marks on the crank and cam gear then use spill port timing on the pump? Or do I need to do a drop valve method then spill port on the pump? Oh and the plasitic timing plug on the side of the P-Pump what degree timing is that? Is it different with different HP pumps? I work at Cummins ALT in greensboro NC but we never do anything like this its all put back what was there. Always have a pin to go buy or a mark on the pump gear or a key way for the repair. Thanks for any help!

Pin on the side of the pump is whatever timing the pump was set at from the factory. Put the motor and pump at TDC (whenever the timing pin is engaged on the pump) and then put a dial indicator in the number 1 hole on the injection pump and go from there. There's a couple of threads explaining how to adjust timing on here. Just search for them. Pretty simple.

i just looked up a chart, and after reading this i believe i timed my truck wrong, i have a 175pump it says that at 10* btdc the pump has 5.25* so that means if wanted to set my truck at 20* its really at 25.25 roughly? not trying to derail this thread just curious.

10 degrees is 5.25mm of plunger lift. 20 degrees is 8.2mm of plunger lift.

Back