Timing knock and won't start

DieselRacer75

SEARCHING!!!!
I bought a 03 CR and it has what sounds to be a timing knock under light and medium throttle and then when I start to get on the highway the noise will stop and the motor sounds good. It also won't start with out some starting fluid. But once the truck is started it runs great except for the "timing knock". I put the scanner on it and it shows the fuel pressure at 403psi while im cranking on it but no start. I have also put a FCA on it today and no luck. When I spray some starting fluid in it it will start and idle but the fuel pressure is at 3900-4200 psi and from what the scanner says it should be at 5300 psi. I have done some searching but I can't really find to much on this. The truck has 143k on it and its all stock. If someone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

***It has no codes***

Thanks
Randall

Last edited:
you have a high pressure fuel leaking have to cap injectors off one at a time find out which cylender is bad

Ok I will block off the lines at the rail one by one and see if it will start. One more question does any one think it could be the rail pressure relief valve leaking? THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS!!!!

Seriously doubt its the prv but its easy to check. Remove the banjo bolt in the top of it and gently push the fuel line to the side( its a hard line so becareful not to bend it to much). Dry the top of the valve out and crank the truck. Should remain dry with engine running. Keep in mind fuel will be coming out the return line while its running. I usually tie a ziplock bag to the end of the line to catch the fuel.

bet if they were tested there are at least four with ridiculous return rates....usually just get extended crank time until three or four.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!!! It wound up being #1 and #3. Blocked them off and it started right up and held Desired rail pressure.

I got the injectors in today and the truck starts up awesome but it still has a timing knock. Can you guys keep helping me out? What else could cause this? It also has a small miss with the knock at idle.

I got the injectors in today and the truck starts up awesome but it still has a timing knock. Can you guys keep helping me out? What else could cause this? It also has a small miss with the knock at idle.

posible fca problem check desired amps should be 1.4 on scanner check and see if any of the valves are to tight being leaned out could have caused some vlave mushrooming made valve a little longer than normal tightened up rocker travel ,possible leaking valve

FCA is new and if I remember right is at 1.4. My biggest question is why does the knock go away at full throttle? I'm not saying you wrong but would a valve noise go away at high RPM?

FCA is new and if I remember right is at 1.4. My biggest question is why does the knock go away at full throttle? I'm not saying you wrong but would a valve noise go away at high RPM?

had te same issue in a 06 truck a while back injectors leaned out replaced them still had a knock below 2000 ended up pulling hte head found that 4 valve mushroomed did a valve job replaced valves issue resolved

Ok I hate to drag this out but the knock has went away but the only thing it does now is it hazes at idle. It's a VERY SMALL amount but its there. Could this be a cracked nozzle?

Back