Timing vs. head gaskets

rockytopcummins

I've done some searching around and most threads are full of people saying I'm running this timing or that timing to suit different needs. However, I came across a discussion recently claiming that anything 24* or above without head studs will leave you needing a head gasket in short order. Some even saying that with studs you also need o/fire rings.

This is the first I'm hearing of this and I was going to adjust my timing soon. Is there any truth to this? If so, can someone explain to me how and why timing would have such an effect on a head gasket? I was under the impression high boost numbers and excessive drive pressure were about the only causes of head gasket failures.

More timing = higher cylinder pressure. High boost gets the same result.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you're going cheap and you are only messing with the pump (rack barrels, AFC stuff, gov springs, and rack plug), and blocking off your wastegate. I wouldn't go past 19degrees.

Well, I would, and did a while back, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to eventually replace the gasket and toss some studs on! ha ha

I ran low 20s for a couple years with just stock retorqued head bolts. That was up to about 560hp at the time. Then cracked the block and rebuilt it. Ran 24*s a year with new engine and orings, still with stock bolts. Swapped H 11s in and went to 27* for a couple years with about 725hp. I've never blown a head gasket. Just my experience

Edit. I'm also big on retorques and feel it has helped a lot. No truck I've done has ever blown a headgasket that I know of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
More timing = higher cylinder pressure. High boost gets the same result.

This is kind of the theory I was going with when I heard this. I'm no mechanical wizard so how does this work? Does advancing timing increase the amount of fuel and air drawn in on each "intake stroke"? I hope y'all can forgive my ignorance on this and school me a little or point me towards a thread already in existence that explains this a little more in depth as to what changing the timing actually does.

Last edited:
Changing the timing only affects the way the fuel burns. More timing will keep more of the fuel burnt in the cylinder, that's why it lowers egt's as well.

advancing the timing starts the injection event sooner. gives more lead time as our fuel burns slow

Changing the timing only affects the way the fuel burns. More timing will keep more of the fuel burnt in the cylinder, that's why it lowers egt's as well.

advancing the timing starts the injection event sooner. gives more lead time as our fuel burns slow

I really wish I understood the specific ins and outs of this process. I guess I just need to do more in depth "googleing".

Back