Tips on buying used?

JonMunson4992

Ok I'm looking at a few duramax's around where I live ranging anywhere from 165,000 to 220,000 miles and I need some advice to help me find a reliable truck. I plan on doing some tranny mods, lift pump, and efi live.

The one I really want is an 04, how do you tell if it's lly or lb7?
What are some things to watch out for that'll cause me problems down the road? Please help!!

If its a lly the 8th digit in the vin will be a 2. lb7 will be a 1. searching will find answers quick. regardless, lly have injector harness issues and I believe intake gasket issues. lb7 had injector/cup issues. lly injectors are external, lb7 are under valve cover. I had all the same questions and decided to search. I fly out Sunday from Ohio to Florida to pick up my first duramax. figured I would add a duramax to my fleet of Cummins powered trucks.

Last edited:
try to find one somebody has already put new injectors in so you dont have to

i have an lly and lb7 both '04, are you looking for a daily driver? sled puller? both? im listing an 04 LLY with 113k on the forum shortly need to take some pics

Like everyone said your way to tell if it's an LB7 or LLY is by the vin.

Other things to look for are typical silverado problems
-rattling steering shaft
-check ALL of the front end joints i.e. ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, steering arm, cv's
-Look for seal leaks especially the axle seals on the front diff as they like to wear out faster than recommended replacement
-Check out the brake lines for large amounts of rust.

Other major problems to look for are related to either lly or lb7

LB7:
-Find out if injectors have been done
-If they have been get paperwork, when were they done, were they reman'd injectors or brand new? (also remember just as with any diesel just because they were done or done recently doesn't mean they won't go bad the next time you drive it)

LLY:
-injector harness inspection as they are known to have problems
-see if it still has the stock mouthpeice or if it has already been swtiched to an LBZ mouthpeice or aftermarket. (if it has you know the current or one of the previous owners may actually care about the truck and preventing problems)

And always inspect the trans operation and fluid (level, smell, and visual)
-This is another thing that on any vehicle though just because it's mint now doesn't mean something can't go wrong the next time you turn the key. That's any vehicle though bud not just a duramax.

Good Luck!

Back