Tire pressure sensors

Depending on the type they can all be removed and put loose in the spare tire, as long as the air is kept up on the spare the light will stay off and normal valve stems put in your new wheels

So they're the ones that are part of the valve stem, not the ones that attach in the middle with the long band?

Hmmmm....anyone ever successfully transferred these from steel wheels to aluminum ones ?
Also...does it matter which sensor is in which wheel?

If I can't transfer them I'll just throw all 4 in a wheelbarrow tire and chunk it in the tool box.

Last edited:
It only matters if the shop that does the M/B doesn't have the tool to reprogram the computer. I believe the min pressure is 25psi so a wheel barrel maybe questionable but the spare works great unless you have to use it. Also make sure the shop has the right tire changer if they break the sensor they are typically $100-$150 a piece. I believe the sensors are part of the stem

Depends on the sensor, some are removable "metal stem with nut" or normal black looking stem but it's epoxied to the rim. The inflation requirements are on the drivers door frame. You will need all five sensors operating to keep the tire light off. Hopefully you have the metal ones and if that's the case you can transfer them to the new wheels but yes if you don't keep track of them or rotate the tires they need to be reprogramed to show them in the right location on the display.

Just put them in the new wheels. Its simple.

This.....got a buddy with a accessory shop here....he does this on a weekly basis. Two guys came in this week with brand new 4 door Jeep JK's ordered lift kits, wheels, and tires. You just unbolt the sensor and swap it over.

Red_Rattler;1607637 Hopefully you have the metal ones and if that's the case you can transfer them to the new wheels but yes if you don't keep track of them or rotate the tires they need to be reprogramed to show them in the right location on the display.[/QUOTE said:
Yea, need to keep track of where they are. I know you have to reset the system somehow when you rotate

Mine were the kind that just screw into a special valve stem.
10 bucks a pop for the stems and the computer is as happy as can be.

Back