to tap or not to tap....

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Well I got my new VP44 in and the truck runs great. I haven't tapped it yet because I was leary about the comp box making the pump die quicker. What other boxes are out there that dont tap the VP44, but still fuel like the comp? Or should I just quit being a baby and just tap the sucker?

Get one of the aftermarked tapped pump covers. Does the tapping in a hidden area, so that if the pump fails under warranty or needs to be replaced (heard of some vendors not give core credit on tapped pumps) you put the original cover on and you are good to go. I am sure a vendor on the site sells one, the couple that I put on trucks and had good results with were from Haisley's. It is noting super exotic, machined plastic, with a peircing screw to make connection with the wire under the cover and a pig tail to hook the wire fromt the fueling box to. Just pull the old cover, install the new, and set the screw. All the ones I did were off the truck, never tried to do one on. Also, life is a whole lot easier if you have a tamper-proof torx bit to remove the screws. A-zone, Sears or any other similar store carries the bits. Can't remember the size, T 15 maybe?

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I had a Blue Chip cover but sold it a while back. I figured the scotch lock was fine and worked perfect. Also I noticed on my new pump there is some plastic type paint on the screws. I guess it's so they can tell if the cover has been removed or not.

Quit being a baby :poke:

From what I have seen Dave a tapped truck dies no quicker than an untapped one, mainly depends on how the truck is treated.

Yeah I'll probably end up tapping it, BUT on the other hand I've got this poping noise coming from the underside of my truck when I excellerate!! It also made the noise when I went to slow down in the parking lot. When it pops I can feel the truck jolt a wee bit. Not neck jarring, just a little jolt. Now wtf is wrong with this pos! It's been doing this for about 3 weeks and now its getting worse I believe.

You did good on not tapping.

I usually tap it after I install the pump and test drive the truck. After you see that is starts and functions as it should by all means, tap away.

Back