Towing with a standard transmission

ratrod111

I currently have a 47rh in a Fummins. I'm considering swapping to a stick. I primarily use the truck for towing a 15000 lb fifth wheel. I'd love to know people's opinion on towing with a Nv4500 or Nv5600?

I've had good luck out of my nv4500, way better than an auto for towing. but the auto I have is stock. if I had the choice, I'd rather have a nv5600, but I already have this trans.

I swapped out my 5spd for a 6spd, for towing I like it way better. Less drop in Rpm between shifts was my reason. But in all honesty, really thinking any other truck I get will probably be an auto, and eventually get a trip to Firepunk, won't be any more money than I have in these manuals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For solely towing, my vote is 5600 or g56. The later being ranked the highest.

I tow very regularly with a nv5600 and 3850 southbend dual disk. Tows everything I put behind it.

My brother has had both 5 SPD's and autos. I hated towing with them. But he like them. It all depends on what you get used to.

I am an Auto guy myself, but if I was buying/building a truck with the primary use of towing it would be one of the 6 speed options.

I have towed with both the 4500 and 5600. Both are a great improvement over the automatic. However, I enjoyed having the 5600 and having the extra gear.

Back