Traction Bars Frame Mount

nskyline34

Hey everyone I'm new here so please go easy on me. I know there are a ton of posts about traction bars, but none about the mounts or ones like mine. I'm mainly worried about bending the frame and/or weakening it.

So I am making some traction bars and I am running them all the way up to the section of the frame that's boxed. I can't decide if I want to weld the mounting plates to the frame or if I want to drill 4, 5/8 inch holes in the frame and bolt it on? I am making it so that the mounting plate will be a "U" shape with the bar coming off the bottom of the "U" and then my from runs down the center of the "u". The bolts will then go through the side (like inside to outside the frame) I don't want to weaken the frame, call me paranoid. Haha

. I am not really looking fr the clamping force to necessarily hold it, but the friction between the frame and bracket (which will be 1/4" thick) ad then the 4+ bolts. I'm not going crazy torquing them down either, maybe 75 ft-lb with nylon lock nuts and (maybe) lock tight.

My biggest question is will this design hold up to sled pulling... I want to make sure they will hold upto a 3.0 puller or similar. Not that I completely intend on doing that, I just want the option down the road...

I welded mine where the front and rear frame rails meet where the frame was double thick.you dont need the horizontal or top weld over 3 1/2 inches. side weld about 2 1/2 inches if the weld is good its not going anywhere.

To the OP i have my mounts made that way and have been that way for 5 years with no problem

If you do decide to drill them, I would sleeve the holes. This way when you torque the bolts down you don't crush the frame.

if you're worried about it, make a plate that lays inside the frame rail (assuming you can get to it) with the same bolt hole spacing and "sandwich" the whole thing together. With that plate in place you can torque to whatever the recommended torque for the bolt is.

IMO 5/8" are a bit large....1/2" grade 8s worked fine for me with the sammich plate. Why put any bigger hole in the frame than you have to? If you have a real long bracket maybe but mine are close to the frame.

Last edited:
I can not believe that in the show us pictures of your traction bars thread there is not a picture of what you are describing. That thread is almost seven years old and constantly being added to.

Traction bar thread

Back