tranny rebuild question...

ice.v8

i welded the forward clutches in a boost launch, i removed and open the tranny yesterday and there is a lot of clutch material everywhere... i will clean up all the things and put in new forward clutches and steels for sure...
the question is, does i have to change also the other clutches ? direct and overdrive... they only have on 4000 miles, but i have to drive the truck home from the truck when i weld the forward, so the tranny works with bad oil for something like 70 miles... what do you think ? they didn't seem bad but i don't know if they could be damaged working with bad oil...

Clutches are like sponges and will absorb the dirty fluid, it will take 5-6 fluid changes before your fluid isn't dark anymore from all the crap in the other clutches ...so its either change the clutches or plan on a transmission flush every 50 miles until the fluid looks good, also consider the bearings in the OD.

If you take them apart and clean everything I think you'll be ok. When it's apart you'll be able to tell if anything else got cooked!Then drain the TQ and flush the system after the first 100 miles. Then figure out why they slipped so bad that they melted! Something was bad in the valve body? Is the pump shot? What about the TQ?

dtt told me that i welded them again for a boost launch... maybe too long on the line at 20 psi... very bad thing...
ok i will change all clutches, i found reybestos high energy at a good price...
how can i flush the converter and radiator to clean all the system before the reinstall of the tranny ? thanks

I always run a few cans of "Kooler Klean" through the transmission lines until the fluid come out clear/clean. then I'll use a air compressor to blow as much as I can out of the lines.

Google search Kooler Klean and you'll find plenty of online order forms.

19001.jpg

I know its expensive, but I would change the converter unless it has a drain plug. To many lingering problems in there. And as far as up in the radiator you shouldn't have anything in there, your 03 should have an individual trans cooler. Just disconnect the lines and flush them with some mineral spirits and blow with some compressed air. I'd say stay below 140~ psi on the compressed air.

Last 47re I worked on that has toasted clutches, they didn't want the converter changed even though I suggested to.. Converter slips now. (trans was built to begin with) So now instead of just a converter they will possibly need new clutches again because the material that was in the converter is now in the rest of the trans, AGAIN.

What are you running your Smarty on?... I'm still trying to learn how the smarty works.:D

Back