Trans Cooler Lines - Aftermarket

Red Sleeper

I have a 6.0 ford trans cooler on my 05 CR. The cooler has 1/2" barbed fittings on it, so I adapted my transmission cooler ports to 1/2" push lock and used 1/2" push lock hose to and from the cooler.

Cruising at 65mph last week the front cooler line on the trans came off the push lock fitting and pumped the fluid out of the trans. Sense installing the new cooler, trans temp has not passed 150*. Seems the push lock hose I sourced from local hydraulic shop is not up to the task. The under side of the truck should never rust now.

I have hose clamps on the hoses at the trans for now, but want to change to something more reliable, such as AN. But I'm AN dumb, never used them before. -8AN = 1/2". Can I use AN hose in a push lock application? Can I use it on a hose barn and secure with a hose clamp, (which is my only option at the cooler)? What brand AN hose and fittings? Summit racing seems to carry all brands.

Get Eaton/Aeroquip push-lock hose. It's pricey but the truck will fall apart around it.

I've had pushlok, and AN fittings fail on me. The AN always failed on the hot line coming out of the trans. Over time the heat would flatten the rubber out and eventually push out of the fitting. Tried numerous different brands of fittings but only ran the summit brand line, that may of been the issue. I did hydraulic lines throughout on my last build as i was tired of pumping 12 qts of atf down the side of my truck. A little over kill but I was tired of having to carry a 5 gallon pail of atf in my truck to ease my mind.

Thinking I'll try that aeroquip hose Tobin mentioned and use hose clamps. What brand push lock fittings? I've had good luck with Parker in water applications. I don't trust the ones I'm currently using.

Which port on the 48re is supply and which is return for the cooler? I would do hydraulic lines, but my cooler is barbed fittings. I should have welded some JIC fittings on the cooler before I installed it.:doh:

Quality hose and fittings and the permanent clamps on the ends and you’ll be good.

I’m using Vibrant soft braid hose and Earls AN style fittings. I’lol do push lock next time. Assembling the AN style is a pain.

Not sure on 48 but on 47 the hot line out of the converter is the front port.

I should have pictures of mine in my build thread. 300psi continental hose on barbed fittings with oeticker clamps should hold. If you run -8 / 1/2" hose, you can go to Lowes or home Depot and get the clamps in the plumbing section where PEX tubing is sold.

The clamping is the trick, you need a constant crush clamp, either the style I'm talking about or a worm gear clamp with the backing tang to prevent pinching the hose.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Thinking I'll try that aeroquip hose Tobin mentioned and use hose clamps. What brand push lock fittings? I've had good luck with Parker in water applications. I don't trust the ones I'm currently using.

Which port on the 48re is supply and which is return for the cooler? I would do hydraulic lines, but my cooler is barbed fittings. I should have welded some JIC fittings on the cooler before I installed it.:doh:

I use Eaton fitting from the hydraulic supply house.

After much brain stewing, I'm going to use hydraulic lines with crimped on 1/2" 37* swivel fittings on one end and leave the other end open. Make the threaded connection at the transmission fittings, and use oeticker clamps on the other end at my trans cooler.
I like the oeticker style clamps. Use them all the time for work when I have to run water or air lines at facilities. I'm sure they will hold transmission line pressure.

It'll be hard to clamp hydraulic hose tight enough with any kind of clamp because of the wire.

Reputable 300psi push lok hose is the ticket, easier to install as well.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Back