Trimming water pump to help cavitation?

DieseLife

My friend just bought an 08 6.4 with 87k miles. Ive read a TON of threads, posts, and studies on cavitation in the 6.4 and in other situations outside of a vehicle motor.

The cause is the vacuum created on the suction side of the pump. Since this truck will not be towed with and will only be a DD, why couldnt someone have a machine shop remove some fin material from the impeller and balance it. This way it would flow a little less. As there doesnt appear to be room for a bigger pump pulley. If the egr is deleted i really dont see an issue in doing this to help prevent cavitation.

So why hasnt anyone done something like this?

or just buy the redesigned cover from ford that has a rotation preventer in it $.02

wouldn't the water pump be aerating the water not cavitating it? I know its a bit of a moot point, but there shouldn't really be enough "suction" from the pump as its not a positive displacement pump. it just spins and whatever it catches it throws out the other side.

in theory tripping some of the impeller off would hurt your case because there would be less flow through the cavity of the pump in the same rpm. i could cause more aeration. A better designed pump that has better flow characteristics, or as Wise_Guy said, a new cover to help flow would be a better option.

just my .02.

I thought there was still issues even with the revised cover? Maybe i read wrong. Im not a big ford guy, my buddy has a 6.4 so thought id ask about it.

I thought there was still issues even with the revised cover? Maybe i read wrong. Im not a big ford guy, my buddy has a 6.4 so thought id ask about it.

there was/is that's why there is a revised revised cover they moved the rotation preventer. Its not a perfect fix but should outlast the engine. The coolant flow of a 6.4 is insane Iirc 86 gpm@2600rpm

Last edited:
Back