triple disc clutch

bsmith59

In to deep to quit now!!!
What is the best triple disc clutch out their, for a 5 speed Cummins? Does any of them fit under the stock bell housing?

I don't have a triple disk, but Kenny's from my experience and a few close others who run his clutches, dd and a triple. Awesome guy and he's extremely helpful. Just my $.02

Valair! Unsure if it will fit under the stock bell housing. I run the street triple in a few 6 speed trucks and love it.

Can't beat a Valair triple. Sold a few and love them. I have had zero issues from my comp triple either.

If you go with valair. I have a triple slightly used I would sell. Get ahold of me if you are interested. The only reason I want to go back to the Clutch I was using is bc it required a spacer and longer shaft, that I'm still using. 618 two40 55three5

I have a question and excuse my ignorance but, would a street triple disc shift smoother than say a 3850 dual disk SB? I know that I can't speed shift my 5 speed at all and I was curious if a street triple would aid in this? Or if I would be wasting my money.

Not that I have any dog in this fight, but are we talking about a puller or a street driven truck? I do not have a triple but I have a Kenny built duel. My very good friend has a valair duel disk. Mine is just as soft on launch, he drives a 4 door long bed gen III weighing in at 8Kish, I have a single cab long bed weighing in at 6Kish. 5 speed vs. 6 speed. Apple's to oranges but still I'm impressed with a Kenny clutch.

You are not going to speed shift anything with that much rotating mass. If you do don't expect your synchros to last at all.

Actually the 3 discs used in the street triple are lighter combined then 2 discs used in the dual. Our triples work in the stock bell housing.

Understanding how the clutch works is the key to a fast shifting clutch. Meaning when you push your clutch pedal in, the release bearing moves the clutch fingers around 1/2" letting the pressure plate that holds pressure on the disc to move back about 0.050",creating a gap. Everything in front of the pressure plate "disc's and floaters" must slide apart easily.
If anyone of those hang up the clutch will not shift correctly. We take each disc prior to installation and slide them on and off the splines on the input shaft. If they hesitate we debur with a file. We also use graphite on the splines to make them slide like butter, and the graphite doesn't attracted dirt like grease does. Also not burring them all up when stabbing the transmission is also important, take your time when stabbing it and never pull in in by the bolts. The alignment tool should pull in and out very easy prior to install, or the disc's are not lined up correctly.

Last edited:
Back