Truck dies after running for awhile....

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
I was driving down the road yesterday and was goin through the gears, and when I let off the throttle it went dead. Would not start at all, I thought I might be out of diesel, cause the gauge don't work, so I put 5 gal. in it kept cranking then had to use etherto get it to start up. I drove it around, filled it up, then got in it this morning drove to buddies house to pull the bed off and check the sending unit. Checked it out and put it back and started it up, drove it up and down the road a few times then it quit again. Wouldn't start again even with a lil ether. Finally started when I kinked the return line and has run fine so far. Anyone know anything on this??? All pumps are good.

I live in Ravenswood, Some think the lift pump is going out again, it was replaced at 70K truck has 100K now, The bypass seems to work as it should. I think???

Sounds like a lift pump. The truck will run for a while on the IP alone but it will eventually ruin it and you can replace both.....like I did at 35K. Rig up a pressure gauge to read the LP pressure.

I found 3 codes PO121, PO463, P1693, I unhooked the ground on my pusher pump, started the truck slowly revved it to 2000 then it started to spit and sputter, so I started to stab the throttle and it eventually almost died, but came back to normal idle. the fuel pressure at the VP is 26 idle and 19-20 WOT. I have been driving it around all day with no problems so far.

Man that’s a lot of FP I would say the lift pump is working. What find of gauge are you running?

I don't have FP gauge, I hooked the gauge on the side of the VP and checked it there. I am planning on getting either a gauge or a warning light.

Back