Truck dies when put in gear

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
For some reason my truck has developed this endearing quality about it. Whenever the engine is hot the truck will sometimes die when you put it in drive. It also has a hard start sometimes when it's hot. This injection pump is 48hrs old. The last injection pump that did this was only 1 month old. So I'm strongly doubting it's the pump. The only thing that's been changed in the last 3-4 months other than injection pumps is injectors and connector tubes. I went from a 7x.010 with pop off's set at 310 bar (helped with the HRVP lope) and .078 connector tubes to 7x.012 injectors at stock pop off pressures (290ish I think?) and stock connector tubes. It's gotta be somewhere in the injection system. Other than this the truck runs fine. No surging, no bucking, when the engine is cold or early in the morning when the outside air is still in the 70's it's fine, it's only when it's hot outside and the engine is hot. And its not consistent. Sometimes it'll drop to 400rpm's and then cough and come back up to normal idle, other times it never even flinches.

I know some folks aftermarket converters are tight enough to drop the rpm's low enough to kill it but mine's not that tight. Lift pump pressure is a steady 15psi when this happens and the fuel filter is 48hrs old as well. APPS voltage is normal, no codes, no check engine light, no weird gauge readings.

I've been told that it might be the pop off's on an injector or two could be off or maybe the ECM is going bad? Any ideas.

And if that's not enough I think either the wiring harness on my ADR is bad or the box isn't working right cause going from level 0 to level 10 I ony gain 5psi of boost and 200* egt's so it acts like it's only running in "EZ" mode and not using the wire tap. Pump wire is soldered on. Maybe the two are linked?

try unplugging the box and see if it still does it...

Think you might have nicked a connector tube O-Ring?

Dayum Tyler. I may have to reconsider our friendship. After meeting you several years ago on the boards.....I started having the same luck as you. Now, yours is getting worse....KEEP THAT CHIT TO YOURSELF!!! *as I schedule a new IP and LP install for tomorrow* LOL

try unplugging the box and see if it still does it...

I'll try that when I leave work. Got a few stops to make on the way home so it will be a good test.

Think you might have nicked a connector tube O-Ring?

Possible but how would that contribute to my issues when hot? Truck has no problem firing instantly after sitting for several days. Even when it dies when I put it in gear all I gotta do is put it in neutral and it fires instantly and it goes in to gear just fine. Althought sometimes it will die multiple times going in to gear before it finally catches. Doesn't matter if the tank is full or empty and the AC being on or off doesn't seem to affect it either.

So does it seem to die upon moving the shifter down or is the shift complete and you hear the motor lug down and die? May be a long shot, but the ignition wires on in the column and it seems the only mechanical thing to change between it diein' and you starting it up again is the shifter and the key. Wiggle some chit.

Let's try to keep it simple for a while. It usally is something dumb.

And if anyone post up "check your grounds" they should be banned for a week. :hehe:

It happens as the shift is completing. I drop it in gear, the motor lugs, and instead of catching and stopping itself and holding say 600rpm (random number) it just falls all the way to 0.

The wiggle some stuff is an interesting concept. Might have to try moving the shifter more forward as I pull it down.

I had a similar thing happen to my truck, injector change fixed the problem. I tried running an injector that was new to market, sure they got it fixed by now.

Ya know, ever since I've swapped these in something hasn't been right. When I was running the HRVP these things made the truck lope like a pro stock dragster on crack. I just chalked it up to the extra fuel and more flow screwing with the pump and nothing else. Swapped the SO pump in and it idles smooth except for this dying in gear problem. But I swear I hear a small lope after driving the truck for a while but it might just be my ears playing tricks on me.

Do you know what the problem was with those injectors?

its the high pop off pressure. I have a set of rv275's that the pop off was changed professionally to increase fuel atomization and it made my dad's truck stall when put in gear also.

Swapped injectors just last week and its been perfect since. Get the pop off's set lower or get a different set.

Lavon

We had the same problem as well with our 200hp 11holes then we changed them to 6x18s.Runs great a little lope when it gets hot but runs way better!!

Ya know, ever since I've swapped these in something hasn't been right. When I was running the HRVP these things made the truck lope like a pro stock dragster on crack. I just chalked it up to the extra fuel and more flow screwing with the pump and nothing else. Swapped the SO pump in and it idles smooth except for this dying in gear problem. But I swear I hear a small lope after driving the truck for a while but it might just be my ears playing tricks on me.

Do you know what the problem was with those injectors?

Nothing confirmed but I'm pretty sure it was a pop off pressure issue. The injector manufacture installed the injectors in a different truck which had a hotrod pump and their test truck ran no problem. I was told my pump was the problem but I wasn't going to except that answer as I never had this problem before trying their injectors.

So what should the pop off be set to? I am having the same problem with my truck when it gets hot. I have my injectors set at 310 bar. I have been thinking it was too high of pressure.

Mike

its the high pop off pressure. I have a set of rv275's that the pop off was changed professionally to increase fuel atomization and it made my dad's truck stall when put in gear also.

Swapped injectors just last week and its been perfect since. Get the pop off's set lower or get a different set.

Lavon

The injectors I'm running now are at stock pop off pressures. Maybe one of them is screwed up?

Nothing confirmed but I'm pretty sure it was a pop off pressure issue. The injector manufacture installed the injectors in a different truck which had a hotrod pump and their test truck ran no problem. I was told my pump was the problem but I wasn't going to except that answer as I never had this problem before trying their injectors.

Interesting. Looks like I get to pull the injectors and send them off. Yippee.

Anyone have an idea what to change the pop off pressure to? I have mine at 310 bar.
Mike

FWIW, mine is set to 300 bar....but they are just low end, crappy, jammers. :hehe:

Back