truck not firing or running

Bruno2

I just got my truck back on the road and it was running better than ever . I took it for a test drive to see if the oil leak is fixed . I had driven the truck all day (50 miles) and it was reliable . When I did the test drive it thew the cel and died . The truck started and ran for about ten feet and then died and wouldnt start . I let it sit for a minute and it started and died immediately and then wouldnt start for several minutes and then did and died immediately after .

I changed the cps and nothing different , I changed the IDM and replaced it with one out of another truck , but , it was different and it didnt change the operation either . I had this problem a month ago and there was a code stored , but , my AE wouldnt recognize so I dont know what it was . I cleared the code and the truck went back to running right . This time there is no code stored and the cel light isnt on past the initial key turning .

Does it have a gold superchip on the computer? I've seen them cause the problem you decsribe.

yes , but the last time it was doing this about a month a go the wts light was flickering and going on and off spuraticaly.

OK the truck was running great , but , I havent been able to find the root of the problem . So I drove it over to buddies house to change the plug ends that had broken retainer clips and look for shorts in it . I found some bare wires at the end of the plug under the intake and thought this has got to be it . So I pushed the pins out and put them in the new ends . I made sure everything(all the wires) was in the same order. I made sure the pins were in securely . I coated everything with di lectric grease and re installed . The truck wont start at all now . The motor spins and spins no smoke no nothing. I ran some onboard diagnostics with my AE . I got a p1663 and a p0475 . I did a buzz test and no buzz . I got a p1668 code saying there was no connection to the pcm/idm. I did a live data meter while cranking and the icp spiked to 3300-3400psi and then dropped off like the ipr is working . So what the F now?

IDM and PCM relays under hood have 10 volts

Reference voltage checked at cps , icp , and all four plugs for inj. voltage checked to be 5 volts .

pulled oil fill cap and listened for inj. clicking while turning engine over with and w/o icp plugged in . No inj. clicking or noise.

checked uvch on passenger side all appeared to be new.

pulled engine harness inspected for shorts and bare wires . no shorts or bare wires.

Ae would not buzz test code p1668

Ok, here is the scoop....

These param must met before the injectors will fire:
120 rpm while cranking
10 plus volts at the pcm while cranking (monitored with scan tool)
450 psi ICP press
watch your IPR % if it goes to over 60% while cranking you have an oil leak
You should get a tool that does a buzz test....

I have a tool that does a buzz test . The tool cannot perform the buzz test and gives p1668 as explanation.

P1668 is EF Feedback diag error, Basically see if your 30A fuse for the IDM is blown pretty sure your IDM is Done.

Everything looks good but did not see Batt voltage while cranking, Dead IDM is my guess..

Alright I changed the IDM back over to the one out of my 1995 . I hooked up a mechanical oil gauge . I Cranked the motor over for about 5-8 seconds until the motor fired up and ran . It took that long to generate enough psi to start the motor .Motor was missing and I found a bent over pin in the vc outlet plug. I fixed the bent pins and started the truck up and the miss is gone.I need to put everything back together so I can drive it and see if its going to quit again. The motor is still taking forever to crank over when it starts . When I get it put back together and back to driving I hope the extended crank problem goes away due to it having air in the hpo lines. Jonathan at swamps seems to think air is the issue with the extended crank time. I am anxious to see for myself. Should the truck no start again I think the inj's at the rear of the drivers side may have the electrical problem if there is one.

OK back to the same ol same ol. Truck drove about 20 miles w/o a hitch. Then I pulled up in the driveway and shut it down to see if the extended crank was gone after the hp oil got rid of the air. Truck started right up so I killed it . Started up again and got the cel rough running . Scanned it no codes . Ran the buzz test AE said problem encountered and needs to shut down . Exited out of program and started program again ran the buzz test option the engine gave me a perfect buzz test , but , it set the cel light when it did . I wanted to hear the buzz test again so I selected it and said problem encountered AE needs to close and didnt buzz. I tried to record some live data of the truck running poorly , but , I dont think I got it saved properly . I am afraid that whatever it is will kill this IDM also.

Any thoughts guys . I still havent pulled thr drivers side valve cover , but plan to this weekend . A mechanic buddy told me he had one do something very similar and that was a short in the ignition switch . I dont know I am out of guesses. Can ford plug into it and find the problem w/o having to do several hours of diagnostics or are they just as limited as I am ?

Back