Truck starts and dies right away

Racermt

Im looking at an 02 duramax with 162,000 on it the truck starts but won't stay running i no it needs injectors but im wondering what else could be wrong

Best to hook up a scanner and see if you can pull any codes it could be the injectors or it could be something much simpler. If you have it hooked up to a tech 2 it will indefinitely take the guess work out of finding what's wrong. Any GM dealer should have one

will it continue to run if you pump the hand primer? could be sucking air through the fuel filter housing.

Well the guy said the crankcase was pretty diluted with diesel I plan on bringing a scanner with next time and ill try pumping the hand primer

Air is a good possibility . If the filter housing is cracked or not sealing that would explain a lot. When I work on durmaxes I always put an aftermarket lift pump on and delete the factory fuel filter

if there is a lot of diesel in the oil, i'd do the injectors now and worry about it later. the more time spends like that, the better the chance that you ruin or spin the bearings and be looking for a new motor.

It's not my truck yet im lookin to buy it but im kinda worried that it might already have a spun bearing it doesn't sound like it though

Remember their a cheap cheap rebuild and you dont need any specialty tools lol

I'm curious, how much did they want for it? I've been looking for a duramax to tinker with and it seems like everyone wants $11k for one with i$$ue$.

That's BS to me since I can buy a decent daily driver for 12k.

Back