Truck will Not Start after Timing Adjustment.

Runaway_Diesel

RIPNDIP
Finally got my electric water pump and replacement freeze plug on Saturday after completely blowing one out of the side of the block. Lol got it running on Saturday afternoon, drove it for a while and then brought it home to bump timing up. I was sitting at 21* and I was taking it to 24*.
Long story short, I've timed is 5 times and each time it will just crank, but not start. I've made sure my fuel pump is delivering fuel, each barrel of the injection pump is delivering fuel and each injector is getting fuel. I've made sure the fuel shutoff lever is working properly. I also made sure the rack in the pump was working properly. I even tried putting it back to 21* and still no start, just cranking.
Any ideas of what could be wrong? I'm really hoping I don't have to pull the injection pump.

Well since I haven't gotten any replies on this thread, I have a question to ask; is there any way the injection pump could be "clogged up" and not allowing the full amount of fuel out of the pump? I've cracked all six lines at the pump and injectors and it's getting fuel at all 12 spots. Could it be that there isn't enough fuel coming out of the pump to open the injectors? I'm leaning towards having to take it to the pump shop, but hoping I don't have to.

I had thought about that, but I double checked myself by pulling the #1 valve cover and even triple checking myself by using the pin in the back of the timing case for the cam gear.

And are you sure it didn't slip? I know you said you tried again at 21*, but just checking. I've done a couple that slipped and well, you know the rest of the story.

and you are rotating the correct direction to advance it? Depends how you do it but it is very easy to be 24* retarded if you are using an indicator, advancing it based on overall lift (or retarding it if rotating wrong direction), and bringing the engine back to TDC.

Have you tried setting the engine to tdc, and the pump to tdc, then seeing if it would start and going from there?

I'm using the way with the dial gauge riding on the #1 cam lobe of the pump and find the bottom of the cam lobe, then advance it and set it according to the timing chart I found on here, pop the gear lose and set the engine to TDC and then lock the gear back down. I made sure it wasn't slipping by using a new washer each time I torqued it down to 145 ft. Lbs. any other ways to time one I can try?

Are you cleaning the shaft off before seating the gear back on?

Have you tried setting the engine to tdc, and the pump to tdc, then seeing if it would start and going from there?

This is what I would do. Start from a good known point and go from there.

Back