Turbo Replacement

zthatzmanz28

Hello zthatzmanz28 it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

OK I think I will do just that...:snoop:

Got to thinking, what other model years will swap out turbos with my 1998 12V? I am not needing one now, but am "planning" for the eventual need to either replace or possible upgrade. I have seen late 1990s and early 2000s on CL for less than $500. Are these realistic prices or should I avoid slightly used?

THANKS!

I personally wouldn't pay more than $200 for an unknown used HX35 turbo or more than $250 for a known to be good used turbo.

By the way, your truck will accept any turbo from 94' thru 00' and 00' thru 02' manual transmission only.

The 98.5 and newer HX35's are 7 blade 54mm turbos whereas 95-98 HX35's are 8 blade 56mm. The 7 blade turbos have more blade pitch so they actually flow nearly identical to the larger 8 blade turbos. Also, the 98.5 and newer turbos have a different exhaust elbow that's easily changeable with your old turbo's exhaust elbow, it's just (5) 1/2" bolts but they do need to be soaked in PB-Blaster or WD-40 overnight to reliably come loose if you live in a wet climate like North Carolina.

check the for sale items, sometimes they are really good buys on there

Back