Turbo

Herd_7.3

Banned
Im new to the org, and this is my first post. I my buddy told me that this forum is more useful than the specified make forums.

But anyways my question is, i am looking to upgrade my turbo. I planned on doing a wicked wheel, but i dont really know what else. Is there anything you can do, such as turbo housing? i know that the stock turbo on the 99' to 03's cant handle more than 30 psi for very long at all. So what can be done to have these turbos hold up to maybe 35psi without having to worry about anything.

thanks

Herd

I'm new here as well, but not new to the 7.3

IMHO, you'd be best served to just save a few extra bucks and put a 38R instead of building on the stocker. There are setups that have made 500+ hp without an external wastegate and 100% nozzles with the 38R. A quick spooling turbo, that's proven.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Herd

I'm new here as well, but not new to the 7.3

IMHO, you'd be best served to just save a few extra bucks and put a 38R instead of building on the stocker. There are setups that have made 500+ hp without an external wastegate and 100% nozzles with the 38R. A quick spooling turbo, that's proven.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

I 100% agree. The reason the stockers are limited is their center sections. The bearings are not meant to handle the added back pressure when you put heavy fuel to them. Switching to a wicked wheel will not change this. The 38r is a good turbo that performs well on a stock truck, all the way up to ~500hp. Also its a simple drop in turbo so you dont have to modify anything to run it.

just a thought

if you want to spend the money i replaced my stock turbo with the ats aurora 3000 setup and i love it great fuel economy low egts and plenty of power. Theres alot in the kit and may different kinds of turbos fit the pedistal but hauling a 20ft inclosed trailer from west ky to houston tx this summer i only saw 900 degrees at 80mph and i roll on 37in 13.50 tires and the trailer was fully loaded

Back