Turning up the fuel on a 5488

cyric

Tinkerer
My cousin has a 5488 he wants to turn the fuel up on a bit. It has the 466 engine. Any tips on adjusting the pump on this thing? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Joe

Depends on which pump is on it, The earliest ones came with the rotary, The newer ones came with the in-line, Post up a picture of the pump, They are both very easy to make power out of.

Eric

I will get a picture of the pump and get it posted. Thanks

I snapped a picture but it is not the best. The pump is an inline Bosch pump I couldn't get any numbers on it though.
Joe

Attachments

• 03-21-09_1042.jpg
    03-21-09_1042.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 72
Anybody have any suggestions?
On the back of the pump there is a plate on the bottom held on with 4 bolts inside there is a screw with a lock nut loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in.

He`s exactly right , but if your cousin is just wanting " a bit " you better just start with a 1/4 turn on the screw. A few years ago i had a 5288 and these things will make some awsome power with not much ajustment. As well as the JD 4440s and 4450s.

Yep...they are right on! Thats an A pump and they will make pretty decent power on an otherwise stock tractor. Dont go to far with the screw though if you do any tillage or heavy pulling with it. A boost gauge and egt gauge should prolly be in the future. We run an HX 35 on ours and the fuel is turned up pretty good. Its REAL strong!!! Enjoy!

how do the rear ends hold up on these things?? just curious since we have a 5088

n519732167_1400348_4394812.jpg

Lavon

how do the rear ends hold up on these things?? just curious since we have a 5088

n519732167_1400348_4394812.jpg

Lavon

I've never worked on one of them if that makes you feel better..... IIRC the 5000 series had planetary drives in them. I know that the bull gear drive set ups in the 1066-3888 (sans the 1566/86 which were also planetary reduction) were good for 175hp. The lighter bull gear set up found in the big frame in the 706-966 weren't as wide a gear, but still seemed to hold 150 pretty decent.

That's a pretty straight looking tractor yet too :Cheer:

Oh yeah, almost forgot there was a serious trans update that was done under warrantee by IH on the 5000 series tractors. Look at your trans dipstick; if there is a new full mark scribed on it then you're fine. Otherwise I've heard that they were troublesome without the update. But, like I said, I've never worked on one either way...

I've never worked on one of them if that makes you feel better..... IIRC the 5000 series had planetary drives in them. I know that the bull gear drive set ups in the 1066-3888 (sans the 1566/86 which were also planetary reduction) were good for 175hp. The lighter bull gear set up found in the big frame in the 706-966 weren't as wide a gear, but still seemed to hold 150 pretty decent.

That's a pretty straight looking tractor yet too :Cheer:

Oh yeah, almost forgot there was a serious trans update that was done under warrantee by IH on the 5000 series tractors. Look at your trans dipstick; if there is a new full mark scribed on it then you're fine. Otherwise I've heard that they were troublesome without the update. But, like I said, I've never worked on one either way...

interesting, I'll check it out.

Lavon

Yep...they are right on! Thats an A pump and they will make pretty decent power on an otherwise stock tractor. Dont go to far with the screw though if you do any tillage or heavy pulling with it. A boost gauge and egt gauge should prolly be in the future. We run an HX 35 on ours and the fuel is turned up pretty good. Its REAL strong!!! Enjoy!

Thats an p-pump not a-pump

a few more of the same tractor, im not sure the hp but i would guess 220ish, and havnt had any clutch or rear end problems. im 99% sure that its a m pump
l_ce74b17d0dcb0ef6ecfe07dfa9f786b4.jpg

l_42f89c4b63c1122d2ebe75374799f650.jpg

Back