Twins- am i expecting too much?

160 pumps= short window to make power. They like fuel pressure, timing and large injectors. But that's just my opinion. There's a lot of Internet engineers that may say different.

160 pumps= short window to make power. They like fuel pressure, timing and large injectors. But that's just my opinion. There's a lot of Internet engineers that may say different.

I agree with ponci.. Timing, larger injector, more pressure, shorter injection event.

I agree with ponci.. Timing, larger injector, more pressure, shorter injection event.

If you were to do DV's, rack, gov springs, and a cam. What would be different about a 160 compared to a 180?

I thought a 160 vs a 180 came with smaller injectors and dv's? Possibly a different cam profile too.

The Different cam profile mostly dictates how much rpm you can get out of them. I swapped a 160 pump that i racked in the truck, with 4k springs, rack plug and 191dvs to a 180 pump that was also racked, 5k springs, rack plug and .024s and made about 30hp more based on track times.

Nothing wrong with blowing a head gasket...just forces you to get off the fence and put it together the right way!

Loosen the gate on the secondary and run at least 20 degrees...

Nothing wrong with blowing a head gasket...just forces you to get off the fence and put it together the right way!

Loosen the gate on the secondary and run at least 20 degrees...

Haha, yes i have thought of that. I am hoping to run it for the season and then redo a few things to bring it up to where it needs to be for more power. I plan to pick up a head to build to minimize down time when i do need to do a head gasket.
I will try loosen the secondary a bit as well, although it is already doing hardly any work.

More pics of the truck! I just bought a '78 IH Loadstar 1600 a couple weeks ago...I love the style!

--Eric

So i finally got around to putting a dial indicator on the pump, and is at 21*. Apparently when i adjusted it a few years ago i set it to 21* not 16*. Good since i dont have to change it, bad because that is apparently not the problem.
Next step is underhood video to see when exactly my secondary is starting to move the VGT.
Other than that i guess its time for headwork and an ehaust manifold.

Only other picture i have on this computer as a 4 door.
1016313_547878715254747_359270567_n_zps81575ba1.jpg

I would go to 24

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

What i read says going to higher timing reduces low end power, or is this just more internet myth?
I do tow with it, and would like to keep low end power even if that means giving up a bit up top. If more timing does not in fact reduce low end power i will bump it some more.
If i am over thinking this or worrying too much just tell me :poke: This is my first go with a performance diesel, and may have dove in a little quicker than i planned.

Loadstar,
Did you enlarge the waste gate on the HE351? Stock they have a real small opening that can be drilled to almost an inch to help waste gate flow.

Really neat truck, I'm jealous! What suspension do you have? Air ride I'm guessing?

I believe I met this truck in Arkansas when it was a two door. It was having an airbag replaced. Had come down to pick up another one of your builds( which I might add was also way cool)

Man this truck is cool!

You didnt ask about this, and I have no affiliation with Scheid, but I recently installed one of their adjustable pump gears. It allows for 1/2 degree adjustments (+- 6deg total) and is keyed to eliminate slip. May make your life easier when trying to find its timing happy place especially if you make your way to a dyno.

This thread needs more pics of the truck to make a proper assessment.... :drool1:

Back