Unbranded studs

Mahle head gaskets are fine, but if you're o-ringing the head you'll want to run less wire protrusion compared to a stock head gaskets.

On the studs. I've ran Extreme studs in a few engines. Made in the USA out of USA material, ect, blah blah. Good spec material. I've had them break studs and split nuts. They were much cheaper than comparable ARP.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I'd be surprised if these were as good as OEM bolts.

I'll bet the machining and finish is spot on, those guys are darn good at that, but I'll bet the metallurgy is where they lack.

Last edited:
Well I’m reporting back.
About the 19th bolt in sequence at 85ft lbs one of the nuts stripped out. Hopefully this will answer someone’s question if they decide to ever try them.
I also had to run a die to thread a 1/4inch more on the 6 exhaust side studs.
At $57 it was worth a shot to see if they would hold up like the LS guys luck.

Retaliation Racing

Also I had to buy a new head due to mine being cracked at the valve seats. I bought an assembled Promaxx head.

Retaliation Racing

Well I’m reporting back.
About the 19th bolt in sequence at 85ft lbs one of the nuts stripped out. Hopefully this will answer someone’s question if they decide to ever try them.

Retaliation Racing

For reference, a lot of LS guys don't actually need more clamp load. They just want to buy an 'upgraded stud kit'. And their cylinder pressures are way less than ours. :Cheer:

Thanks for reporting back though! That'd be pretty sick if it was only $60 for a decent stud kit.

Guy on DD accidentally torqued a set of regular ARPs to 225ft/lbs on his Dmax and broke two of them. A-mazing it was only two.

For reference, a lot of LS guys don't actually need more clamp load. They just want to buy an 'upgraded stud kit'. And their cylinder pressures are way less than ours. :Cheer:

Thanks for reporting back though! That'd be pretty sick if it was only $60 for a decent stud kit.

and LS guys who use $50 studs are typically working with a $500 engine with 300k on it so they have little to lose LOL I like my LS stuff because it is wayyyy less expensive but at times I still pay for good stuff.

Guy on DD accidentally torqued a set of regular ARPs to 225ft/lbs on his Dmax and broke two of them. A-mazing it was only two.

Had a snap on torque wrench act up putting studs in a 12 valve. If you didn't pull the handle absolutely perfectly straight it bound up and essentially had no torque rating. I broke 1 and thought I flew into another dimension LOL torque wrench and myself went opposite directions out of the engine bay

First time I've ever heard LS and less expensive in the same sentence. I get it now that I own a diesel though lol.

There has been 1200rwhp pushed through an LS on stock bolts and more 700-800hp 4.8 and 5.3's than you can shake a stick at.

Well I’m reporting back.

Retaliation Racing

I appreciate you trying them and reporting back.

First time I've ever heard LS and less expensive in the same sentence. I get it now that I own a diesel though lol.

There has been 1200rwhp pushed through an LS on stock bolts and more 700-800hp 4.8 and 5.3's than you can shake a stick at.

"Diesel" = "Gourmet" or "Organic" when it comes to parts cost.

Sometimes I wish I never started on the diesel path, what with the things a person can do to an LS engine now. Oh well, got a cheap 5.3 out in the garage "for just such an emergency".....

"Diesel" = "Gourmet" or "Organic" when it comes to parts cost.

Sometimes I wish I never started on the diesel path, what with the things a person can do to an LS engine now. Oh well, got a cheap 5.3 out in the garage "for just such an emergency".....

Haha I hear ya on that. It's got me by the balls right now. Something about a big truck that lays the power down and then tows my boat to the lake on Saturday.

I do miss my LSx fun sometimes. Especially rowing through the gears..

Well I’m reporting back.

Retaliation Racing

I could see some value if I was pulling the head often or in the foreseeable future. Think I'm going to use a new set of Cummins head bolts for not too much more money.

Did it just pull the threads on the nut only?
If so whats the stud threads look like.

I'd be curious how far they would have pulled down with a better nut.

Did it just pull the threads on the nut only?

If so whats the stud threads look like.

I'd be curious how far they would have pulled down with a better nut.

I looked at the stud today, both threads were messed up nut and stud.

Retaliation Racing

I also wanted to add, Mahle and felpro head gaskets are the exact same. Same numbers on gasket and everything. I’m comparing the two together now.

Retaliation Racing

Back