Using a garden hose as an air compressor hose

I’ve never used garden hose for air line but we used to use garden hose while hydrostatically testing our fire sprinkler systems all the time in occupied spaces, that way we could set the pump outside the building and run the hose through the space. We pressure stuff up to 200-220psi. I would not change out the factory ends, just get hoses that have solid brass ends. They last and seal up the best.

Could always use teflon tape on the connections if you're going to try this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve never used garden hose for air line but we used to use garden hose while hydrostatically testing our fire sprinkler systems all the time in occupied spaces, that way we could set the pump outside the building and run the hose through the space. We pressure stuff up to 200-220psi. I would not change out the factory ends, just get hoses that have solid brass ends. They last and seal up the best.
Where was your test at? The siamese connection for the fire dept?

Back to thread:

Cant you just get someone stateside, or even a compd buddy to buy some quality air hose for you at specified length and ship to you? Wtf am i missing here?

Back to thread:

Cant you just get someone stateside, or even a compd buddy to buy some quality air hose for you at specified length and ship to you? Wtf am i missing here?

Looking at eBay and Amazon, it seems like "air hose" costs about twice as what "garden hose" does, comparing 1/2" to 5/8" of the same length and what looks like similar quality. (On top of similar shipping charges, which are often prohibitive on anything larger than a USPS flat rate box.)

But at retail on island it's a more pronounced difference in price (3-4x as expensive), I imagine because there is over a hundred times as much demand for garden hose as air compressor hose.

One of those things where its just easier to buy the right thing now and move on. If it is something you need and will depend on then it isn't worth fighting the wrong product. By the time you dik around buying adapters and ends to fit a garden hose only to find out it doesn't hold up you might as well buy the correct thing. Buying the wrong thing usually results in overpaying for the correct thing in the end.

Do some diggin on Mcmaster

McMaster-Carr

I would bet you can find something that will suit your needs relatively inexpensive on there.

I love McMaster-Carr but I can't say they've ever been a bargain, especially when it comes to shipping charges (they just pass forward whatever it actually costs and they don't make much effort to keep them under control, in my experience).

Adapters were $14.71 shipped from FasParts.com. As long as I don't die from this hose misadventure, I'll let you guys know what happens and what the total cost is in the next couple weeks. Then I'll compare my total costs this way to what a comparable real air hose would've cost.

My $50 5/8" 500 PSI hose with $15 worth of adapter fittings is holding up fine so far. It's way bulkier than typical air hose. No leaks so far from the fitting adapters. I can pull it from my compressor to wherever I need it and then put a super flexible little air hose on the tip of it for ease of working. Flows plenty.

I think as long as you can live with the relative lack of flexibility it's a fine option.

Back