Using big turbo as little turbo?

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
Just about every time I tell someone about my BD twins I get a cringe out of em. I know very little about the turbo's. Can't even remember the sizes. But since I am yanking the head and doing some work to it (again). I might as well O-ring it and run something a little bigger. Would it be out of the question to use my larger turbo from my BD towing twins and throw it over an S400? I am assuming I'll need a different hot pipe.

i think yer special on the btm is a 66....isnt an s400 smaller...yer tops like a 57

My twins are basicly a BD towing twins set with the bottom turbo replaced with an S400. Wicked Diesels here on the forum sells the kit to upgrade your BD towing twins to the S400. You keep your existing top turbo. Mine ran 11.71 on it's first pass, and broke the trans on the second pass.. EGT's were only in the 1200's.. I think 11.4 on diesel only will be very possible with them.. Great EGT's, great response even with a towing converter, and good power.. I wanted something I could tow and run the 12.0 class with.. These are perfect.. I'm going to the track again thursday, so the numbers should be better..

Just about every time I tell someone about my BD twins I get a cringe out of em. I know very little about the turbo's. Can't even remember the sizes. But since I am yanking the head and doing some work to it (again). I might as well O-ring it and run something a little bigger. Would it be out of the question to use my larger turbo from my BD towing twins and throw it over an S400? I am assuming I'll need a different hot pipe.

It would be a big set but with an external gate and enough fuel I dont see why not. The primary in the BD towing twins IIRC is a S366, 66/14 non waste gated. I would say keep the super B and put an S400 underneath it.

Like I said, I didn't know the sizes at all.. So if it's the small one I want keep then that's the one I will keep.. hopefully I can get something for the big one so I can snag an S400 :woohoo:. Thanks for the replys. Nice to know it fares well with that setup... This thing won't be much of a racing machine since it's a manual. But I still like to screw around and haul plenty.

I believe the top is an s300g (57/65/14) and the primary is slightly similar to a silver bullet (66/74-something, T-4 maybe?). It takes a lot to effectively use a s366 as a secondary, it won't spool all that great either.

There is nothing wrong with that setup, add a BIG wastegate and lots of nitrous and it would be a lot of fun. But a larger s400 or k31 would (and has for others) work well with or without spray.

It might be better to sell the kit if you want to step up to a bigger primary depending on the price, but I would definitely keep the secondary if you want a 700hp or lower setup.

$.02

Back