Valve lash clearance VS rocker bridge oiling

okie18

So, had a common rail come in here while back that had 3 or 4 of the intake rockers not oiling the rocker bridges. I noticed all of the exhaust rockers were oiling with no problems. I pulled the non oiling rockers and flushed out the passages, the trunions and rockers had the typical galling you always find. The question is, will too tight of valve lash keep the rockers from oiling the bridges? I've always ran 0.010" on the intake and 0.020 on the exhaust side but this got me to thinking is the 0.010 too tight to allow proper oiling?

I set every truck that comes through my shop at .008 and .018 and have never seen any problems so I would say no.

.009 and .018 here too. Watched it fill everything up with oil in seconds when cranking. Never heard of this before.

How does the groove in the shaft align with the passage in the pedestal?

Could it being offset to one side enough possibly effect how much of the oil goes to which rocker?

It's not a lash problem then, maybe just wore out rocker tip cups or whatever they're called?

The offset passages make sense now that you mention that. I'd think that'd be considered in the design of the passages and clearances to where it wouldn't affect oiling but maybe not. I'll loosen the rockers and move them side to side and see what happens.

I suppose it could be the position of the rocker levers also but I was talking the rocker shaft that is pressed into the pedestal.

Back