VE has no injection pressure...

Cummins12Club

Happy Dinosaur
I worked on a friends 92 last weekend and had to pull the pump off because the O ring at the rotor head was leaking. The truck was running fine just leaking fuel badly. So we pulled the pump and pulled the rotor head, replaced the O ring and put everything back together making sure the two springs in the gov section sat in there pockets and the other two smaller springs stayd in there's. Put everything back together and the truck won't start. We cracked the lines and it's not shooting the fuel as it should. The fuel just dribbled out. I took the lines all the way off on the injector side and when you crank it the fuel just dribbles. It has good lift pump pressure, it's in time, rueled out the sthi off solenoid (took the plunger out) re indexed the gov spring. It has me stumped. I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the vane pump and rotor head. Are next step is to take the pump to an Injection shop and have them run it on there stand to find out what's wrong. Just figured I'd ask the VEinds here before going to that step

Is the FSS getting power? If so, is it pulling the plunger up? I'd take it off and pull the plunger to make sure that's not the issue

I suppose it could but don't quote me on it. Seems it's of a decent thickness and could take some of the dimension out of the plunger travel and not allowing near enough pressure to open the delivery valve.

HPIM1290.jpg

There are of course other factors that could give you such results. Did you get the little ball at the bottom of the governor lever assembly seated in the metering sleeve on the plunger? If not, the sleeve could possibly be bound in a position that is exposing the "spill" or relief port on the plunger.

idle.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help jimbo I will be pulling the pump back off later this week and I'll let you know what I find.

There are of course other factors that could give you such results. Did you get the little ball at the bottom of the governor lever assembly seated in the metering sleeve on the plunger? If not, the sleeve could possibly be bound in a position that is exposing the "spill" or relief port on the plunger.

idle.jpg

This is more then likely your culprit. I had the same issues with fuel delivery after a pump re-seal and I eventually figured out this was my problem.

You can pop the top off the pump and look down inside, you should be able to see if the collar is on the ball end or not.

Back