VW TDI power problems

superdutypowerd

I have a 96 passat with the 1.9 TDI and for some unknown which me and 2 other can't really seem to grasp, it is not makin the power it did 2 WEEKS ago. We haven't looked at it very much, but I went from 40 mpg to 31.5 average and I can't pull 5th gear even with a tail wind. I tried to watch my numbers with a scan tool but neither a Marco crapper or a snap-on solus would communicate. Only thing I can think is fuel because the little bit of coal I did get is now gone, but both my sendin unit and my injector seems to be operating. And suggestions, as this is my first vw diesel?

Check vacuum lines and boost hoses, I had a 98 innwith the same symptoms and it ended up being the vacuum line INSIDE the ECM! There's a little rubber hose inside that had a little crack in it, only reason I looked there is causes I was looking on tdi club and it's a common issue it wouldn't fuel either

What he said, plus when intake soot builds up you
will lose power.

Check the vac lines as noted, also take a good look at the charge air piping.

Turbo was boosting up good. We tackled it again tonight. Checking boost pressure and fuel lines. It has a small pump by the airbox that a previous owner has taken out of the loop. It doesn't work but I'm curious of the perpose of the pump. I took the airbox apart, I have a lot of blow by and someone ran elephant tube down to the a-arm. All the oil and nasty **** would then be pulled in, maf sensor was covered with oil where it sucked the filter back a little. Cleaned it and it runs great. Replaced a few vac lines and blow by tubes and it livend up nicely. Egr has no vac line, its capped off so i jus left it that way. Egr is the worst thing for a diesel in my book. Thank you for the pointers.

Last edited:
Sounds like they pulled your vac system off the car.

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

Sounds like they pulled your vac system off the car.

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

I think so. What doesn't make much since is I've been drivin this car since April with no problems. Lol. After we played with it, it seems like it runs better now then it did when I bought it. Maybe my mileage will go up, find out tomorrow. 1100 miles tenessee, I'm comin home.

Back