Wanting to build a fun truck on the cheap

12valve95

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I have a 95 rclb 4x4 12 valve with NV4500

The body is absolutely shot. Wiring is shot. and the frame has seen better days.

I am thinking of doing a swap into a square body but have questions.

Should I go 2wd?

should I stay 4x4?

what is the cost associated with the swap minus the donor and new truck?

I just want a fun street truck that hauls ass

Thanks for any help

What is your budget ?
2wd would be cheaper then 4x4.
If the only thing you can salvage out of your truck is motor, you might be
better off buying complete truck and building motor in that truck.

What is your budget ?
2wd would be cheaper then 4x4.
If the only thing you can salvage out of your truck is motor, you might be
better off buying complete truck and building motor in that truck.

I can salvage the motor, transmission and transfer case

I found a few 70-80 square body chevy rollers for around $800.

I just don't want to get into that swap if it's going to cost thousands. I would like to get it running for around $1000- $2000. Is that even reasonable?

Then I can drive it and build/finish slowly and as budget allows.

If you don't need the 4x4 you can sell that part to make some cash for the build.

I vote an old swept line Dodge for a transplant! Square body is close to a drop in. BUT I figure you're in the rust area if you have a mid 90's that's rusted out, maybe a hard find.

I just don't want to get into that swap if it's going to cost thousands. I would like to get it running for around $1000- $2000. Is that even reasonable?

You have the engine and trans and as long as you can do your own work or not have to pay anyone for the doing the work, you should be able to get it in and running fairly cheap.

Old square body Chevrolets' front shaft drops on the passenger side and have leaf springs. Most had 205's and the later ones had a the 208 case. Both would have to have the input shaft changed to spline up to the NV4500 or you would have to source a 205 from an '89-'93 dodge cummins.

Don't worry about big 'ol friggen axles unless you decide to pull. The 3500 chevys had kingpin dana 60 fronts with 14 bolt rears (rare as hens teeth). You are mostly going to find either 10 bolt or dana 44 fronts with 14 bolt rears.

The 1/2 ton chevys had the same front diffs as the 3/4ton. The housing tubes are heavier wall on the 3/4 tons. We have a 1/2 ton Dana 44 in the front of my daughters truck and it is holding just fine.

I don't know a whole lot about the 1/2 ton 12 bolt rears other than that I have seen them, with aftermarket parts, take some severe abuts.

If you can get the swap accomplished for say $500, you could take the remainder of the money, shop the used market, and make in the neighborhood of 450-500HP and have a ton of fun.

Once you get the swap done and get a taste, you'll find a way to spend all the money you make on it.

Just my $.02

Figure out how much you think you will spend on the swap and double it and you will spend twice that amount. Ask me how I know...LOL.

Figure out how much you think you will spend on the swap and double it and you will spend twice that amount. Ask me how I know....

LMAO!!! That is the closest to the truth you're going to get!

Everything you don't spend on now you'll be going back and spending on later after you break stuff. Buy Once, Cry Once.
Doing all of the swap myself I'm still close, around, or well over 10K, my engine and fuel system are still bone stock too! Also, I'm just now getting to the expensive stuff. I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm sure people do it cheaper all the time. Give it a shot! Take a look at the Junker Drag Truck for some cost ideas. The self satisfaction is well worth it.

This-
I just want a fun street truck that hauls ass
and this-
I would like to get it running for around $1000- $2000
cannot even be in the same thread.

Last edited:
Figure out how much you think you will spend on the swap and double it and you will spend twice that amount. Ask me how I know...LOL.

I am afraid your right lol

The truth is, I don't want to skimp on parts. Just really want to not have to spend unnecessary money because I chose a poor swap vehicle.

I want to do a square body chevy and I think it's doable no problem. Is there any difference between half 3/4 and 1 ton frames in relation to this swap? Would they all require reinforcement? Is there a need to find a manual chevy since I doubt the pedals or shifter hole would match?

Thanks for the replies

I am afraid your right lol

The truth is, I don't want to skimp on parts. Just really want to not have to spend unnecessary money because I chose a poor swap vehicle.

I want to do a square body chevy and I think it's doable no problem. Is there any difference between half 3/4 and 1 ton frames in relation to this swap? Would they all require reinforcement? Is there a need to find a manual chevy since I doubt the pedals or shifter hole would match?

Thanks for the replies

No reinforcement necessary until you start carrying the drivers side front tire.

you'll need 85-87 chevy hydraulic pedal setup, custom motor mounts, custom frame crossmember, and thats about it. can you weld and fab? cheaper for you. if you can't, the mounts and crossmember setup is about $500. pedals are usually about $120-150. you can swap the input on a 88-91 chevy 241 to the dodge one and that will bolt up to your trans other than I think you have to slot one of the mounting holes.

you'll need 85-87 chevy hydraulic pedal setup, custom motor mounts, custom frame crossmember, and thats about it. can you weld and fab? cheaper for you. if you can't, the mounts and crossmember setup is about $500. pedals are usually about $120-150. you can swap the input on a 88-91 chevy 241 to the dodge one and that will bolt up to your trans other than I think you have to slot one of the mounting holes.

I don't trust my fab skills to mount all the weight...who makes a solid crossmember and mounts I can buy?

I just found a 1980 chevy 1/2ton with a clean cab and front clip, no bed, it has a small block with nv 5 speed a np241 transfer case.....think i might jump on it what you guys think?

as long as you plan on upgrading the axles. I think a 6bt will eat the stock axles quick. frame isn't as strong on the halfs either but it might be ok.

Back