Water cooled intake on my first gen motor?

JoeCochrane83

I picked up a totaled 87 f350 with a first gen cummins swap. I'm putting the drivetrain in my play truck. The motor is tan the turbo is on top of the exhaust manifold and the intake has a air to water intercooler built into it. Curious what it came out of and are these more or less efficient than a air to air setup.

Boat engine. Unlimited cooling water is the difference.

Thought that too but all the offshore motors I've ever been around have closed loop cooling systems.

It's not uncommon for closed loop cooling systems to also have a fresh washer system on them as well.Well...it's not common either, but I've seen a few this way.

Now.... it's definitely not uncommon for offshore boats to NOT have a closed cooling system.

I've never been around the diesel marine stuff....but I could def. see where they would do that.

Really curious if this system will be as good as a air to air. Thinking I might run a small car radiator and a 12 volt pump and keep it totally seperate from the engine coolant.

If it's worth the fab work for you, I would say it is worth a try....

Pictures of the set up?

I don't know how to upload pics fab work would be pretty easy just redirect the water lines to the intake through a pump and a radiator.

Some sprayers and that type of equipment has the water intercooler on them. There is a first gen near me with this setup in it. He uses the engine water like a tractor does.

There's a really big list of applications that use a w/a aftercooler. They normally were put on starting at about 180hp. Medium duty, ag, industrial, ect.

So should I ditch it or seperate it with its own radiator elec pump elec fan and run it. The shape of the intake will defiantly feed all six cylinders much mor evenly than a standard truck intake but I don't know if the cooler inside it will restrict air flow to much. Plan on putting all the fuel I possibly can through this motor so need as much cooling as possible.

if you don't know how to upload pics, send me a PM, and I will upload them for you

I doubt it is a genset motor the previous owner purchased it me fully dressed from cummins to have swapped into his ford. So I'm sure it was a high way app.

Back