Water meth and smarty timing and settings

jjrightmire1973

I am about to install a Devil's Own stage II water meth kit "as soon as I buy it" I am currently running My Smarty on TNT with SW7 tm-4 rp-2 and timing-2 and have it stacked with dr. performance stage 3 chip for pressure. I am worried that the Water meth kit will add too much timing and blowup my engine, what should I run the settings on the smarty? I plan on only running blue Peak -20 winshield washer fluid which is 30%methonal and 70% water. And I plan on welding in threaded bungs into the steel intercooler piping post turbo, my current mods are II 64mm turbo, II dual feedline, S&B intake, ATS exhaust manifold and AFE bladerunner intake, airdog 150, 90 DDP injector tips, arson III kit, ArP studs and heavy valve springs. Smarty and Dr.p chip.

devils own stage 2 with two 14 gph nozzles...
80 hp nozzles, stage 2 cp3, studs, springs.....

smarty on 9, timing 3, rp 1, boost is 62psi, starts spraying at 22psi and 100% flow at 34psi.
no problems....
when towing i go to smarty 5, the rest stays the same.

What kinda turbo or turbos are you running? I can hit about 52 PSI then falls to 50PSI, DO you get any timing rattle on 3? I know thats it a little less timing than 2 and do you run washer fluid as well or 50/50? I dont think I have enough pump to run SW9 thanks for the reply and keep em coming

i have junk turbos... t58 over gt4202.... no problem maintaining boost pressure. no timing rattle once she's warm
i only use distilled water and methonal. i get it from a friend that races boats.
i have only mixed it 70/30.. never higher.

Depends on the SW version - be nice when Marco publishes that kind of stuff on the MADS site :hehe:... but I speculate that timing increases from 12-21*, depending on the level (could be <12* on lower odd numbers).

Rule of thumb is a 50% load of methanol in water injection equals ~4* of timing advance.

so what your saying is a 50/50 mix of water methonal is going to advance timing about 4*? so I 30/70 mix would be a little more than 2* so I should run the smarty of timing #3? thanks for the replys its helping me lots

Don't expect it to scale in a linear fashion - water alone can have a variable effect on combustion timing.

Last year's TNT-R, for example:

SW#9
Timing Level
#1 = 12* max
#2 = 21* max
#3 = 18* max
#4 = 16* max

Back