water pump?

powerstrokin

GO VOLS!
yesterday afternoon when i was getting ready to leave work i noticed antifreeze had been leaking out of my truck. it was a pretty good size leak and i couldnt see exactly where it was coming from but was dripping from about half way up the front of the motor, so i assumed it was the water pump. it leaks more when i turn it off then when its running. its a steady dripping, does this sound like a water pump problem? if so is there any does and donts to make changing it out easier? i checked the hoses and dont think its leaking from those unless its right at the water pump. thanks for any help with this.

7.3L are notorious for water pumps. Normally the day you see the leak, your next trip should be to the parts store to get a new pump.

Remove the fan and the fan shroud and you can unbolt the Alt and flip it out of the way. DO NOT use any RTV at all... You dont need it.Use distilled water(not tap) when you refill.

Thanks for the info, that dosent sound to bad. Why the distilled water? Just curious.

Tap water has alot of crap in it which will cause the PH levels to start out high.Distilled water will keep the PH level lower to start out. Dont forget to add a bottle of coolant additive.. DAC?? (helps keep your PH balance low)sorry forgot the name or part #s

Ok thanks for the help, I'm gonna get into it this weekend. How hard is it to get the fan off? Do I need a fan removal tool that my repair manual says or can I just use a wrench or socket on it?

7.3L are notorious for water pumps. Normally the day you see the leak, your next trip should be to the parts store to get a new pump.

Usually start leaking anywhere around 100k +/-
Mine went at about 130k and my sister in-laws went at around 225k (rare)

Ok thanks for the help, I'm gonna get into it this weekend. How hard is it to get the fan off? Do I need a fan removal tool that my repair manual says or can I just use a wrench or socket on it?

The fan is threaded on the onto the w/p shaft. Your gonna have a hard time breaking it loose with a wrench. Got an air hammer?

Mine is just about to turn 170,000 so guess I've been pretty lucky. I haven't had to many problems with it except camshaft postion censor has gone out twice on it. I do have a air hammer, so I'll try it. Thanks for the help

Little taps on the edge till it breaks lose then turn by hand. Tighten by hand till it stops and then a few light taps to snug it up. See if you can do it in 2hrs. Have fun!

Make sure the water pump comes with a new upper rad hose neck. If not get one as resealing the old ones is next to impossible. I would also throw on a new serpintine belt while the upper rad hose is off as you cant change it with the hose on. Good luck

Thanks, just heading to part store now. I'm going to change the belt and put new hoses on it will I got them off.

Good idea. Also make sure u got that freakin gasket in the groove the whole way around before you tighten it. If it drops out a little bit it will leak.:badidea: Dont ask how i no.

Got it all done, air hammer worked great getting fan nut off. Just put it on the corner and it came loose. Didn't take alt. loose but didn't seem to get in the way to much. Went ahead and put a new thermostat in it while I was in there too. I think I got the washer on there good, no leaks. I was worried about it coming out of the groove, but seems fine. Thanks for all the help guys sure did make it easier.

Back