weight rack for lifted truck

ryanss22

so I am currently building my weight bracket for my 96 OBS. I built the truck part just like pontiacross ( the lone stroke) did. My truck has a 4" lift in it with 315/75/16 tires, I do not want to take it out like some will say to do...

What I'm wondering is should I build my bracket that holds the weight so it comes out of the reciever's and hangs lower on the truck to get the weight lower to the ground instead of sticking it straight out front and having it fairly high up??? I plan on hanging roughly 1k worth of weight out front. Thanks for any help guys

I would just hang them straight out, that way you can load it on a trailer without unloading them.

I plan on driving it to most pulls... Tralior is only if I break will it go on a tralior.. So removing the weights is no big deal... I'm using JD 90lb weights

Just hang it out straight. Doesn't make any difference, but getting the weight out further will put more leverage on the front end.

So that farther out I can hang the weight (60") the better?? No matter how high off the ground?

Just hang it out straight. Doesn't make any difference, but getting the weight out further will put more leverage on the front end.

Actually height does make a difference, never calculated how much, but it does.

Ya that's right. Most places 60" from center of front x to front of weight is the rule. Height off the ground is up you. Do your rules allow for soild rear suspension in your class?

Yes I can bolt my suspension solid, already have that part coverd. As it

As it sits the weights would be roughly 3ft off the ground from where they mounted to the truck... I can make a bracket to get them lower if that would be better..

With a solid rear suspension ive found that if u can get the center of the mass for the weight as close to that 60" mark as your rules allow and get it inline with your frame off the ground it will be at its farthest point forward when the front lifts.

Actually height does make a difference, never calculated how much, but it does.

In which way? Putting it above or below frame rails? I would think above the frame rails would make the difference. Haven't heard of height of weights making a lot of difference.

Height of the weight wont make a difference in this case. Your pivot point is at the center line of your rear axle. Leverage (torque) is a rotational force, and gravity only works in the y direction. A leverage force can only be applied perpendicular to your lever arm. Your frame is more or less parallel to the ground and the mass is perpendicular to your frame causing the leverage. Therefore, weight at 218" from your pivot point (158" wheel base), 60" forward of your front axle will give you the most leverage, trying to keep those front tires planted on the ground.

Gotcha thanks guys!! Hung them straight out with the end of the weight 59 1/2" from the back side of the front axle, that way I have a lil play with the tech guys at the pulls..

Sorry, I'll try to post em up! Took a half inch plate welded it to the frame in front of intercooler, then took channel to the front of the frame. Cut a whole in the c-channel and slid 2 recivers to the 1/2 plate and welded it to both the plate and c-channel... Made my weight holder out of 1/2" c-channel also. Used mini I-beams for stiffeners... Hope he pics show up..

Hopefully here's some pics

Attachments

• on%20truck.jpg
    on%20truck.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hanging%20weights.jpg
    hanging%20weights.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ibeam.jpg
    ibeam.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
Looks good. How do you plan on strapping them down to keep weights from coming off incase of a bounce?

Last edited:
going to weld 2 brackets on each end of the plate and run a threaded rod through all the weights... would the be good enough?? or should I also strap them down? there will be roughtly 1200lbs hanging

Just remember ALL my advice is from watching and research, so take this lightly.

I have seen bars work as there isn't much force on them anyway. I have also seen guy use couple bungie cords as he forgot his small straps.

Back