Weird allison leak...

will24

That guy
Ok... Quick run down, need opinions, I am stumped...

The truck - 2005 LLY 4x4 CCSB, 240k miles (yeah... I know), mild tune.

The problem - has an ATF leak out of the converter housing while running, started while pulling a trailer on the highway, around 9k lbs total (enclosed trailer with a 2014 corvette in it)

I looked at it after the leak started (it's a steady drip, is using nearly 4 quarts per 1000 miles), found the flex plate cracked nearly all the way around, leak looked to be coming from the front seal.

About 5 months ago I pulled the trans, put a new front pump seal in, checked to make sure the washers were present on the bottom housing bolts (they are), did a once over on everything and put it together with a good used stock flexplate I was able to get from Fleece.

The problem was fixed for about a week, then slowly started dripping again. It started at about a quart every thousand miles and progressed to what it is now.

When I talked to my buddy that owns the truck when it first started leaking again, I mentioned maybe the bushing in the front pump was worn from whatever weird movement happened with the cracked flexplate.

Fast forward to this week, he calls and asks if we can pull his trans again this weekend, he already bought an entire front pump assembly etc... I tried to talk him into just rebuilding it while it's out again, but it's not in his budget and he needs the truck for work Monday.

Today I yanked the trans back out, pulled it apart, put the new pump in, along with new separator plate gaskets etc, and new coppers on the bottom bolts. I did a visual on the converter, I don't see any cracks etc. I mic'd the hub on both the round and flat pump drive portions, both came in .001" above the service manual spec (which I don't remember off the top of my head)

We road tested is once it was back in, and same damn thing. Was ok after the first run (I peaked inside from the little inspection cover), topped fluid off and reran it, came back, slight drip again already...

The vent is clear, the leak is coming from inside the housing.

Anyone have any thoughts? I told him it's the last time the trans is ever going back in with the stock clutches and converter... I am lost on what's causing this and where it's coming from

Will

Was just a quick thought on the dowel pins. When you pulled the converter, could you tell if looked like a pump seal leak? I have seen a few cases that the threads were cracked, that hold the bell housing to the case, and fluid would leak when under pressure. Just another thought.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back