Weird marks on pushrods

kole32

Recently blew a headgasket on my 12 valve and I noticed some strange marks on the pushrods ? I've looked at the head and the block and see nothing it could be hitting. It's on 8 of the pushrods some is worse than others.

f371a8d5b2992f8994306f32a10e7a4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from the pic but looks like where they were welded together.

90% sure the marks weren't there when I got them lol. I just can't see anything that they could be running against to cause those marks. You can feel the groove on a few of them.

what size pushrods? looks like they might be touching a bit where they pass through the head somewhere in the cycle. mine doesn't have much clearance there but I only have 3/8 pushrods.

I'm pretty sure they're 7/16 pushrods. That might be it. I put them in a spare block I had and it looks like there's plenty of clearance.

I'll check it out later today and let you guys know. I've got no clue. Looked like there was plenty of clearance between the head and the pushrods.

The problem I see with the head rubbing part is there looks like there is a crack dead center of the mark. Alot of pushrods especially performance ones are not 1 piece. They are multiple pieces welded together to strengthen certain parts

Last edited:
The problem I see with the head rubbing part is there looks like there is a crack dead center of the mark. Alot of pushrods especially performance ones are not 1 piece. They are multiple pieces welded together to strengthen certain parts

It is a rub, guessing only rubbing at the higher lift of the cam as the rocker is near the top and is headed towards the head.

Is it a tapered pushrod?

You could also be seeing some pushrod deflection.

Is it possible it is a weld joint and has rusted there from moisture. You know like when you pull a valve cover from one that has sat and you see kinda milky oil sludge. If they all look the same it would be strange they wore the exact mark from a cast head.

It is a rub, guessing only rubbing at the higher lift of the cam as the rocker is near the top and is headed towards the head.

Is it a tapered pushrod?

You could also be seeing some pushrod deflection.

That's what I was wondering ! If it was deflection, but they're a pretty beefy pushrod. I doubt I'm making any more than 700hp. I was running 70psi of boost.

Got it figured out. Talked to the machinist and he said with 7/16 pushrods it hits the head. He said factory rods are close clearance when the valve is fully open.

correct 7/16 rubs the head on 12v, that's one reason i run some 3/8 heavy duty wall, unless we do a tapered 7/16 rod which wont rub, but the cost is a good jump up.

I have some 7/16" Mantons in my truck now. Will the rubbing eventually cause them to fail?

Back