Weird tick and white smoke

93-12smoke

Ok, so saturday morning I took the 12 valve to dyno. While warming it up I thought I was hearing an odd tick but nobody else that was with me could hear it so I decided to run it anyways. Once on the dyno the truck struggled to get to top end and put down a wimpy 246hp. 120 less than last time. Once it got to top end it started sputtering and let out a couple puffs of blue/white smoke. By the third run the tick was worse.

Pulled the truck off the dyno and after letting it cool down I shut it off. It died slower than usual. When I cranked it back up the tick was still there only now it was idling rough and smoking white. White smoke that burned your eyes and throat.

The longer it sits the rougher the idle on initial startup and the heavier the white smoke the first couple seconds. White smoke only goes away under heavy throttle but rich is still there.

Attached a video of it running today. Any ideas welcome. I haven't started tearing anything apart yet to diagnose the problem but no water in the oil and vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-tQwAUBOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Originally it sounds like injectors to me.... but it seems to be clearly coming out of the pump itself....correct?

It sounds to me like a pump issue. Do you have another to check it out?

I'm with Eric on his thoughts. Only other thing that came across my mind was a broken spring.

Just ran the valves to rule out dropped valve or bent pushrod. They all seemed good to go.

Turning the motor by hand to run the valves I was able to hear and feel the ticking certainly coming from the pump.

Talked to my local pump shop who thinks from the symptoms that the cold start advance came apart. That wouldn't need with throttle control but would throw timing all over the place. Pumps coming off tomorrow and going back to the builder to get looked at

Injectors getting sent to be cleaned and adjusted just in case debris made it into them.

And the verdict is broken "cross disc" between input shaft and cam plate. Toasted the cam plate too. Cause pier II was fuel screw was turned in to much, bent fulcrum lever which side loaded the cross disc.

Cause pier II was fuel screw was turned in to much, bent fulcrum lever which side loaded the cross disc.

Folks need to know, this is an example of what can happen when you force that screw.

Sorry it's turned out this way for ya. :(

Weird indeed.

That fulcrum and all the other associated levers are of hardened steel.

9f3bf32b.jpg

Last edited:
That would be that item at the very bottom of the above image. It's all but dead against a neighboring pivot-point. Tough to bend I reckon.

BC847, I'm familiar with the internals of the VE pump. That pump supposedly came "max calibrated" from II. They said the fuel screw was stuck in the AFC housing.

Back