What causes a broken ring?

davem3261

I believe my truck may have a broken ring. I checked my oil after 5k miles and I am down 2 qts. It has never used oil before. When i first start it it runs rough for about a minute and then smoothes out. I have never sled pulled and my egts are always below 1300. The go pedal rarely reaches the floor. Can anyone point me in the direction of the tools i need to get to do a leakdown test to find my problem.

If it runs smoothly after a few minutes I doubt it's a broken ring. Does it smoke badly on startup? Could possibly be bad valve guide seals leaking oil into the head, or maybe an injector O-ring leaking. Sorry I'm not more help.

Could have an injector issue going on. Your oil usage isn't that excessive, but one quick check to see if you might have fuel getting in the oil is take a couple drops on a paper towel and let it sit for a few minutes. . . if there is fuel in the oil it will wick to the edge of the oil drop and sort of make a ring. That's kind of a crude test but if there's considerable fuel in the oil it will show up.

Does it smoke or haze? If so does it smell like burning oil or poorly burned fuel?

If you had a broken ring it would miss all the time and have bad blowby. Just run a leak down test on the cylinders.

Quickest way to have major issue with a CR is to let me drive it!! LOL

But I don't remember driving yours.....lol

Best of luck to ya but its sounds like it needs to come out!
Mines comin back out soon for the same thing...more than likely a broken ring or something....Mine used lots of oil as well...Lots of rough running / White smoke at cold start!

Instead of a check engine light, common rails use an interactive system. You must have ignored the white smoke message it gave you from the bad injecter. They cause the injecter to fail so that you know the ring is going to bust just before the piston melts. The piston melts as a warning that you are getting ready to window the block. Didn't you read the handbook?

Instead of a check engine light, common rails use an interactive system. You must have ignored the white smoke message it gave you from the bad injecter. They cause the injecter to fail so that you know the ring is going to bust just before the piston melts. The piston melts as a warning that you are getting ready to window the block. Didn't you read the handbook?

LOL subtle...but funny none the less!

The oil usage and rough running seemed to happen at the same time as the flux 2 install, that was the last time i changed the oil. That was 5 k miles ago. It does smell like unburnt fuel when I first start it. It blows bluish black smoke for about a minute and runs ok after that.

Injector question.............

Doesnt Swole keep swolin it after the Flux injectors? Just askin if maybe its a trend.

If you had a broken ring it would miss all the time and have bad blowby. Just run a leak down test on the cylinders.

Friend of mine had a bone stock 04.5 that had a broke ring on #6. It would stumble white smoke when first started but once warmed up it would run fine, But did have alot of blow-by.

Easiest way to tell if it has a broken ring is to remove the oil cap & just set it on the hole where it threads into [don't start the threads]. If it blows off when you start the truck, time for a teardown.

I had six broken rings and the oil cap danced while it sounded like an old farm tractor.

Doesnt Swole keep swolin it after the Flux injectors? Just askin if maybe its a trend.

Out of all my failures, only the one split tip is the only injector issue I've had recently...Which May have caused my recent broken ring issue or not... I Still haven't torn it down to see what the real deal is...

Back