What choices are there for building a motor?

Noreaster

Official beer tester
Seeing whats out there for known parts for engine building & what needs to be done since the point of stock motors holding is being reached.

Block-anything need to be done to it?
Crank
Rods-whats available, direct fit or else?
Pistons-whats available
Cams-choices
Valvetrain
Heads
Intake
Anything else I missed.

Trying to get some info that I can't get elsewhere, not that Im going to be building anything soon. Try to keep it civil guys, don't start fighting over whos better.

We are getting all our goodies for our new engine from Guy at SoCal Diesel :woohoo:

He is doing the heads, pistons, cam. We are also buying the rods, connecting rods and head studs from him.

Guy don't have any rods in stock. TTS does. Guy has a waiting list if you want some.

Bobo said:
Guy don't have any rods in stock. TTS does. Guy has a waiting list if you want some.

I guess I should have said we bought the above stuff from Guy :snoop: We got rods :woohoo:

I will add that McRat was been planning this engine for months and the only thing that has changed, even before we knew there was a problem with Casper, is the block. He was getting a built engine as a belated Christmas present. Pat being more frugal then myself :eek: wanted to use the LLY block we have sitting around. But after a bunch :blahblah1: & *bdh* from me, he agreed to let me buy him a LBZ block for his Birthday :D

Now we have just kicked the building process up a notch :rockwoot:

So we can get back to what we do together for fun...Drag Race :snoop:

Kat said:
He was getting a built engine as a belated Christmas present. Pat being more frugal then myself :eek: wanted to use the LLY block we have sitting around. But after a bunch :blahblah1: & *bdh* from me, he agreed to let me buy him a LBZ block for his Birthday :D
You're quite a catch, Kat:rockwoot:

Kat said:
I will add that McRat was been planning this engine for months and the only thing that has changed, even before we knew there was a problem with Casper, is the block. He was getting a built engine as a belated Christmas present. Pat being more frugal then myself :eek: wanted to use the LLY block we have sitting around. But after a bunch :blahblah1: & *bdh* from me, he agreed to let me buy him a LBZ block for his Birthday :D

If I lived in California.....and wasn't married, Id ask if you have a sister

I want me one of those Ladies that gives me engine blocks as presents. I wouldnt try to steal Pat's Lady, even though I am rather dashing LOL

McRat said:
Guy Tripp has more rods coming in.

I know he does. Merchant has several sets he is waiting for from Guy. My buddy in IL has a set on order with money down he is waiting for from Guy. TTS has the same rods in stock. I don't see any reason to wait on a list when Huckstorf Diesel can get you a set now. I have not problem doing business with Guy. He is as honest as they come, but I can't wait for a product that he can't get in stock. This is all Crower's fault, nobody else is to blame.

As far as a motor build, Merchant Automotive in Holland, MI can do the whole project. He has built several motors to date. He was relying on machine shop work that caused some premature failures. He now has the equipment in house to do the work himself. My compression is being lowered to 15:1 with aftermarket rods being installed. Merchant is blueprinting my motor in house and having it balanced. I plan on upgrading the cam and heads next year, so this should be good enough for this year. I might get the pistons coated next year too. I can't wait to drive it. I'm excited to say the least! I'll be in the market for some bigger Don M sticks and a bigger twins setup next year, too!

Last edited:
Kat said:

I might need you to call my wife.:hehe:

Kat said:

I with the rest of these guys, how does one find a lady like you? I've met you and McRat is lucky. I want one just like you only shorter.:D

Back