What/how to clearcoat Aluminum

IC-Smoke

Oh SNAP!
Ive spent around 300 in polishing aluminum parts for the truck, Now I just need to find something to coat the parts so they wont pit/dull quickly.

Anyone have a opinion on what to use to put a clear coat or ____? on the parts that will be durable and keep the parts looking freshly polished?

Thanks
Ian

Find the one called "Toomuchboost" and you will find your answer Grasshopper. LOL

A good wax helps, but eventually you'll be back to buffing. Don't even consider clear paint/powder coat. That will go away in about 18 months (around this part of the country anyway) then you'll be left with a pitted, corroded aluminum mess.

This is good stuff here I hope to find this locally, I'm tired of polising my new wheels on my work truck.

Im still hunting for the right stuff....

I found this from another site:

Phase2.gif

Phase2™ is a heavy-duty detailer designed not to replace conventional detailers, but to go a step beyond to remove oil, grease and other foreign substances.
Ideal for tough, hard-to-remove applications, Phase2’s uses are limited only by your imagination. It cleans and protects rubber, vinyl, anodized aluminum, paint, fiberglass, lexan and more. Applications include but are not limited to wheel/fender wells, radiator hoses, valve covers, motorcycle seats (won’t leave them slick), engine components, suspension components, tools, tool boxes, tonneau covers, hubcaps, frames, firewalls, air cleaners, molding, vinyl tops, tires (doesn’t “yellow” white walls or lettering), underside of hoods, and lawn and garden equipment. Phase2 is especially effective at removing brake dust from wheels. It also cleans oil and grime off of shop and trailer floors.
For racers, Phase2 easily removes oil blow-by (even synthetic) from painted surfaces and windshields. Phase2 is available in 16 oz. bottles or gallons.

they have a ton of stuff!! and a aluminum polish/coating that I think Ill try... here is the link:
http://www.scheiddiesel.com/Valco.htm

Ian

Last edited:
I need to stop being lazy and pull my rims off and buff them back to a shine and then polish the snot out of them. I had to wetsand the sob's 6 months after I got them and I didn't spend enough time polishing them back up.

A good wax helps, but eventually you'll be back to buffing. Don't even consider clear paint/powder coat. That will go away in about 18 months (around this part of the country anyway) then you'll be left with a pitted, corroded aluminum mess.
Totally agree. If ANYTHING hits and chips the clear the aluminum corrodes under it and looks horrible. The only way to fix it then is to sand all the clear off and re-polish. I polish semi wheels, tanks, steps ect every year and as long as you keep them clean and keep them polished they'll look great forever. It's not hard to keep them polished, it's just hard to get them back if you let them go.

There are treatments that are supposed to help resist oxidation, not sure if they work or not.

Back