What is a good sound sytem nowadays?

Nooooooooo. LOL
Deaden them and seal all the big holes off then look at some of the noise barriers that are out there. I'm gonna run 2, 1/2" layers of Armaflex. It's a closed cell insulation I use at work and it should work awesome. I've never seen it used before but probably because it's expensive as hell...about 50 bucks for a 3X4 sheet.
Good thing we have boxes just sitting here. LOL

I never heard of using pollyfill, cant quite figure how you would keep it dry and out of the window tracks?
Its been posted already but its worth while to check this site out
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
It will help you understand why and what the different products do.

Unbroken
That armaflex sounds like a great product, you need to sandwich a sheet of MLV in between the layers. That will be like the Luxury Line Pro that I used but a whole bunch cheaper :rockwoot:

I put some cheapo tweeters on the dash today, I think it sounds way better than what I have. So I think I am going to run a full range 3.5 in the dash, and 6.5 components in the doors. What would sound better, mid level Jl Audio components and speakers, or the bottom of the line Focal (the Access series)? I really want to keep brands together, because I have always had mixed stuff and it bugs me, but the cheapest Focal 4" is twice as much as a JL.

Also I was looking at subs, and I am thinking about running some RE Audio SRX10D2s on a 1000w or 500w Jl amp. Opinions? I really think a 500w would be good enough for me though, but for hundred dollors more I might as well not have to worry about running out of watts for a while.

Sorry, I am such a cheapass.LOL

You really need to audition the different speakers yourself to pick.
Everyones tastes are different when it comes to sound, and both products are good quality.
RE makes good stuff but make sure you pick a sub to work in the size enclosure you have, even the baddest SPL monster with a ton of power will sound like ass in the wrong size box.
If it was only $100 more I would move up to the 1000 (I'm kinda power hungry LOL ) but the 500 will be enough for most sinngle 10s or 12s

I put some cheapo tweeters on the dash today, I think it sounds way better than what I have. So I think I am going to run a full range 3.5 in the dash, and 6.5 components in the doors. What would sound better, mid level Jl Audio components and speakers, or the bottom of the line Focal (the Access series)? I really want to keep brands together, because I have always had mixed stuff and it bugs me, but the cheapest Focal 4" is twice as much as a JL.

Also I was looking at subs, and I am thinking about running some RE Audio SRX10D2s on a 1000w or 500w Jl amp. Opinions? I really think a 500w would be good enough for me though, but for hundred dollors more I might as well not have to worry about running out of watts for a while.

Sorry, I am such a cheapass.LOL

You really need to audition the different speakers yourself to pick.
Everyones tastes are different when it comes to sound, and both products are good quality.
RE makes good stuff but make sure you pick a sub to work in the size enclosure you have, even the baddest SPL monster with a ton of power will sound like ass in the wrong size box.
If it was only $100 more I would move up to the 1000 (I'm kinda power hungry LOL ) but the 500 will be enough for most sinngle 10s or 12s

Yes, your opinion is the one that matters and huge factors like placement and crossover frequiencies can make a great speaker sound terrible or a good speaker sound great!

As for power on a sub, buy as much good clean power as you can afford!!! My best analogy for power on bass is this: Relate it to horsepower, yes you don't need 800-horsepower on the street but when someone blows a red light and you nail the throttle and scoot out of the way before being T-boned it is great to have the extra horsepower. Likewise with a bass amp if it has ample power it will easily handle your musical tastes at a normal level and on the occasion that you crank it up or a wild bass note comes down the RCA cables it will easily be able to reproduce it faithfully. If you were driving a little underpowered import when the guy blows the red light and it can barely get out of its own way you mash the gas it goes nowhere and you get totaled, likewise with a cheap amp or an amp that is not powerful enough when those musical transients and big bass notes come down the line it will not have the oomph to regreate it and therefore will crap out and distort.

Distortion is what KILLS speakers!!! Except for SPL competition, I have not seen subs blown from running too much power. I have seen MANY subs blown from too much distortion!!!! When an amp is driven into clipping and distortion the smooth waveform is being squared off and basically the speaker is seeing DC voltage at a high current level. DC voltage flowing through a coil will heat it up A LOT and that is what burns the voice coil!!!

Buy the best speakers you can and place them correctly then power them with the best amps you can buy and you'll be happy!!!

Hope this helps!
CT

Back