What is the best way to clean aluminum rims?

powerman

Just like the title says, what is the best way to clean aluminum wheels up?

They are from an 2004 and I do not think the original owner had ever cleaned them, so the build up of crap is pretty bad.

I've had really good luck with "Meguiars HOT WHEELS" cleaner. Spray on, little scrub with a sponge, and wash off.

acid wash them first, then high speed buff them with rouge for the "mirror" look

acid wash them first, then high speed buff them with rouge for the "mirror" look
Only way to go unless their clear coated. Then if the corrosion is under the clear your screwed. Strip-sand-polish.

Is there an easy way of knowing if they are clear coated. They are the factor wheels on a 2004 Ford 350 king ranch dually?

Almost all factory aluminum wheels are clear coated. Which i why they all look like crap if they get the slightest chip or scratch in them. All the Ford truck wheels I've seen are cleared. My GF has aftermarket wheels on one of her cars and they were cleared also and I had to use aircraft stripper and sand until all the clear was gone. Then a few hours with the Milwaukee polisher to make them look good again. If you've already tried to polish them and they are smooth but still look bad it's most likely corrosion under the clear.

Wash the wheel with your hose to remove loose grime. Spray "easy off" oven cleaner on, allow it to soak for 20 minutes, then scrub the wheels with a teflon safe dish scrubber. Wash off all cleaner, then if pitting is still visible...sand with 400 grit sandpaper wet until pitting is gone. Then clean with water, dry with Terry cloth. Use Aluminum brite to bring the shine back. I like to polish with my buffer, then hand polish leaving a coat of polish for protection from oxidation.

I was big into the 60's and 70's era slot mags....I always used Eagle One mag cleaner. It's basically an acid wash. Just spray on with the wheel dry, rub around with scotch brite pad or rag and rinse after 30 seconds. Repeat if necessary, who cares about factory clear coat, it'll come off sooner or later anyway, might as well do it on your own terms and make it look good. $.02

Back