What Pistons to use for a CR Race engine

it is strickly a competition only race truck not a drive on the street truck. How much are the Ross pistons and where do you get them?

Ross were cheaper than Arias last I checked. I don't have the exact figure, but somewhere between $250-300 each hole IIRC. I have talked to Ross directly, but there may be some sponsors on here that are a dealer.

Swole I think you should try a different injector maker if your thinking a broken tip may have caused a busted ring. Your build is pretty fresh man, shouldn't be having problems.

I gotta give it to ya though, I would have built a toy a long time ago and cruised a stock rig. You hung in there though!

photo-12.jpg

photo-13.jpg

photo-20.jpg

What kind of coating is that?

What kind of coating is that?

Wade answered this for me.... It was a good coating but just didn't servive the 3 possible failures I had with my electronics ( Dual fuel controller out of spec, MP8 harness lead came off (inside the knuckle of connector), and bad RP sensor....All were found after my melt down...)....

I tend to be Very hard on things...Especially pistons!! LOL

My history in order....

MeltedPiston.jpg

MeltedPiston08.jpg

2nd motor never melted and ran great... It was decompressed which I think helped a good bit...But then the oil in coolant from a blown freeze plug in the head..:nail:

photo-27.jpg

photo-33.jpg

photo-29.jpg

3rd motor had the coated piston that you saw....

They went from this:

photo-12.jpg

To This: ( Due to the 3 poss. failures mentioned above )

Burt the ceramic completely OFF all six pistons!! This was #5 but #4 was starting to deform as well......The rest were semi ok but had no coating left...

Cylinder Temps were probably hot enough to have POSSIBLY jacked up a monotherm but who knows...

01f0a2d9.jpg

72b30c98.jpg

Now I'll take my BAD luck and see how these work out!! lol
But after only 4500 miles on this build...It's coming back apart due to a poss. broken ring or bent rods from a poss. hydra lock situation...:nail:

Steel Mahle Monotherms with valve pockets (.075 deep) and only 200 grams per piston heavier..

e59c329b.jpg

Just talked to Jeff this morning...Will be taking it down next weekend to start pulling the motor out and find out whats really going on inside.....

:)

Last edited:
bout time david- i think everyone wants to know what the exact issue is

HA!! Yeah, No more than me!!!

But this was the Worst timing ever!!

With the Christmas holidays, Snow event, Jeff going to Hawaii to get married for 10 days, then they were Really busy, then More Snow that shut things down, then he and Sam went on that Dealer Cruise to Mexico and just got back....Ugh!! (Happy for them though!! )

But he called me this morning and said we'll tackle it starting next weekend...

I've gotta get my ducks in a row for any changes we're gonna make internally...

-Gotta Mod the Monotherms like Chris ( joesixpack ) did for my squirters to work as normal...
-See if rods are straight... Would love an aftermarket set but thats just Not in the cards...aka wallet..
-Thinking about Zach's 188 cam. But my Fletcher DP3 is awesome too.
-ED wants to mod my S480 to the new wheel that flows more and spools better... Gotta try and see if I can scrape that money up..
-Jeff wants to do some new special stuff to the head...Not port related..
-Gotta see if the block is usable or If I'll have to find another.. Or sleeve this one to get the tight PTW clearence Mahle wants..

Other stuff but I draw a blank...

Last edited:
The coating is super heated to 2000*+ and applied to the piston, it accually becomes part of the outside material, it's said to take over 2500*For 10-20 seconds to melt a piston with this coating...depending on the base piston material...good stuff IMO

Back