what turbo???

Grudgeguy

1st gen moron
So truck has mods in SIG but is now getting a built trans and a converter.
I plan to add some 5x12's. Truck is used to haul up to 10k but rarely sees over 7k.

What do you suggest and why? I am looking at HX40, HE351CW, or an HE351VGT.
I think I could run the VGT vanes with a spring then possibly set up a cable for an engine brake function. That work? Thanks guys. . . roll coal lmao:Cheer:

id go with an hx35/40 hybrid, itll spool quick with 5x12s and unless your fuel is way up itll provide plenty of air

id go with an hx35/40 hybrid, itll spool quick with 5x12s and unless your fuel is way up itll provide plenty of air

I thought about it but odds are I have to buy two turbos to make one. Honestly I am kinda liking the VGT, an engine brake would be killer and I wouldn't have to shell out for a PAC brake or something similar.

thats true, better to do what you want one time than doing something youre not happy with twice.

thats true, better to do what you want one time than doing something youre not happy with twice.

That was whimsical. Is the first gen section really this dead??? Can't believe I got one guy helping me out here. Shoulda gits me a Dmax lol

The HE351 is the best bang for the buck for 1st gen trucks, as you're getting a semi-modern turbo for $250 - $400. However, the exhaust side is not designed for efficiency, and results in high drive pressure. The VGT would be a good cost effective approach to integrate braking and flow a little better than the CW (that being said this is only internet guessing since I've never tried one). The best performance would come from a suitably sized and modded Garrett BB and a PacBrake or US Gear. I've always heard nothing but the best about Harry from Peak Diesel concerning BBs.

What's the purpose of the truck?

Towing? He351cw

Doing everything else including motorsports? Look into a S300. Something like a 362 or 363.

What's the purpose of the truck?

Towing? He351cw

Doing everything else including motorsports? Look into a S300. Something like a 362 or 363.

Yeah, towing is the main focus and of course it should still make enough power to be fun. I think I may pick up a 351cw I found local and start with that and if I like it great. If I'm not loving it I'll look for a VGT and set that up. Should be pretty okay, probably toss springs and a 3800 GS in for a little more.

Skip the vgt unless you get it cheap. The modding and tuning that goes into that will be better spent on a better turbo.

Skip the vgt unless you get it cheap. The modding and tuning that goes into that will be better spent on a better turbo.

Good point. I do like the whistle effect though lol would be fun to mess with people

Grudgeguy how do you like the 16cm housing?

Better than the 18 and I don't really worry about "choking" like a 12 or 14 could. With the trailer on I notice it leaving a traffic light. Was a pretty well spent $150 or so.

Back