Whats a Good Size. Fuel Pick Pick Up or Straw???

98xtremcummins

Hey Guys Whats a good size straw or pick up tube to put in my fuel tank?? I've been told anywhere from 1/2 to 5/8. Also what size lines should I run. I will have a 13mm pump and 900hp+ 12valve. Do I put more than one pick up and also a like 1/2 return line tube also?? Any help would be great. Brad

Me personally, I would run a 5/8 Stainless Steel in the tank and connect that to a 10an line.

What lift pump are you going to run? You should use that as a basis.

we have 1/2 lines on disturbed's truck, one feed and one return. we run a fuel cell that gravity feeds, but a 1/2 ID pick up tube should be plenty!!

Ok. Thanks. I haven't desided what lift pump to run yet. I'm thinking probly an aeromotive 1000, but not sure yet. Any suggestions? I'd like to run the front cover and the mechanical pump from scheid but I don't know if that is really needed.

If you run a 1000 then you will certainly need a 5/8 pick up and a 10an line. Out of the pump you can run a 10 or an 8. But the inlet needs to be a 10an which equates to a 5/8" pickup. Also, make sure you have a filter before the pump. I think it needs to be a 200 micron but I could be wrong. We use a 25 micron which feeds a 3 micron before the pump. That way the pump sees the best/cleanest fuel possible.

Yea I have access to the pieces at my buddy tube and hose shop. Cheap. Yea I figured I'd go with a decent race style filter.

that small a filter pre-pump could cavitate the pump

The filters I use are full flow filters rated at a much higher gpm (or gph don't remember which) than the pump pumps. When I speced out the system for my truck, I called Aeromotive. Their engineers or tech people didn't see any issue with my system.

Ok. Thanks. I haven't desided what lift pump to run yet. I'm thinking probly an aeromotive 1000, but not sure yet. Any suggestions? I'd like to run the front cover and the mechanical pump from scheid but I don't know if that is really needed.

let me add that on a 1200hp scheid motor, we have 1/2 lines, and a 10 micron filter. the pump is kents setup on the cam gear, which is the only way to go if your going to be running a high performance 13mm pump. it will keep you up around 70psi.

Back