Which DT466 is best for bombing?

hesutton

Project Truck Guy
I've been wanting to repower a F-Series truck with a DT466 for some time. I have no prior experience with the DT466, but I don't want to have another "12 valve Cummins" Ford. This thread (DT466 build questions) has some good info, but I'm still not sure which version of the DT466 would be the best platform to start with.

Like "smokin binder," I was told the NGD P-Pumped DT466 was the way to go. But, why? Would an older version be better/worse......and why?

1200HP in a daily driver would be great.......but what tranny, t-case, and axles would live for more that a few miles behind that kind of power? Am I stuck using a build Allison auto? I would prefer a standard, but again, which one.

Sorry for all the questions.........but the linked post above has me excited about this project again and has sparked a lot of questions.

Heath

You can buy a new Dodge diesel Pickup for what it costs to build a proper DT466 long block for that power range.

You can buy a new Dodge diesel Pickup for what it costs to build a proper DT466 long block for that power range.

:hehe:LOL

No thanks and offense intended but....... Like stated above, I don't want a Cummins in my Ford and I certainly don't want a new Dodge Cummins. I like mechanically injected/controlled diesels. I don't want a "BlueTec" emissions heavy, computer controlled truck that is just thousands and thousands of other trucks.

This will be a toy and toys are expensive.:Cheer:

Heath

I was not implying that you would be better off buying a new vehicle of any sort. I looked into the DT466 build and got several quotes. Just passing along my findings.

We have three of them. Dad is going to keep one to make into a camper and we have had a fairly serious bite on one of them but no money yet we could have them six months or a week, never know these days.

Without even opening up the oil pan, you can make 600hp. Dont see how that's expensive. Hypermax says, 1000hp for $10k. That's not that bad either. Why drive a new Dodge when you can have a mechanical DT466?
The DT466C is also great. It has roller lifters too. Built from around 89 to 92.
Transmissions I've seen are what 2wheel puller suggested, and uses. The RT6610 or 6613, which are both rated at 660 ft lbs of tork in a MD truck, and one is a 10 spd, one's a 13.

Last edited:
Back