Who all has a TDI with an auto trans?

Kermatdi runs an 02 auto Jetta TDI that they have no issues with. They said it dynoed just under 200hp. I guess there is a couple of tricks you can do to increase line pressure.
My buddy is going to call them tomorrow and pick their brains.
Kerma is not the place to go for tdi answers. Just google them and you'll find the tip of the iceberg.

Go over on tdiclub and search around. You'll find plenty of stuff on the 01M auto's.

Raising the line pressure doesn't solve the problems at all. It's part software/part hardware problems. The slip ratios in the computer are wayyyy to high for a modded motor. They're set for no feel shifts with 155 ft/lbs. Not 300+ft/lbs that is very easily attainable since the auto cars have a larger injection pump. What happens is you slowly burn the clutch packs from the slow shifts and all the heat eventually fatigues the aluminum clutch drums causing hard part faliure. So upping the line pressure helps to hold the packs together better but does nothing the lower the slow shift times.

People have gotten them to live a little longer by changing fluid and filter at every other oil change, putting the trans in sport mode, and upping the line pressure slightly. No matter what, it's still a ticking time bomb. Just swap it over to a 5 or 6 speed when it goes out. Much cheaper than rebuilding or a new auto.

I just bought a 99.5 golf with an auto, it has 114,000 miles on it and it seems to be doing fine right now. What is involved is swaping to a 5 speed or 6 speed? Any guesses on what that would cost, and which one is better 5 or 6? Thanks.

I just bought a 99.5 golf with an auto, it has 114,000 miles on it and it seems to be doing fine right now. What is involved is swaping to a 5 speed or 6 speed? Any guesses on what that would cost, and which one is better 5 or 6? Thanks.
Go over on tdiclub, look in the non engine related upgrades, theres 2 or 3 swap threads in there.

The mechanical part is no harder than swapping a tranny out, running shift cables and the like is easy as well. The wiring can be a bit of a pain, mainly just making sure you have the right one before you get the snips out LOL Other than that the hardest part is getting all the parts. Any junkyard will sell you most of what's needed, it's the little stuff that will get you.

off subject ut im lookin @ getting a jetta, wonderin wut year is the best, it'll be an auto, maybe put and sticks and a tune...wonderin wut the best would be looked @ new ones but hate to drop 27k on a dd/toy

off subject ut im lookin @ getting a jetta, wonderin wut year is the best, it'll be an auto, maybe put and sticks and a tune...wonderin wut the best would be looked @ new ones but hate to drop 27k on a dd/toy
Depends on what you're going to be doing. the 00-03 cars are the equivilant of a 94-98 12v ctd in terms of ease of mods and bang for the buck. And just like the 94-98 ctd's, the auto trannys blow haha. The 04-06 cars use unit injection (instead of a bosch ve pump like the 00-03's) and will give a major power bump with just a tune. However, anything beyond that is starts to get really expensive and a pita. But, as long as you get one with a 5 speed auto, that tranny is great and proven to be very reliable.

I'd stay away from the 09+'s. Yeah, they're common rail, but they have wayyyy too much emissions bs just waiting to go wrong that no one has figured out how to get rid of yet.

Just my $.02. If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Back