Will it be reliable?

XDieselfreakx

1998 Chevy 2500 6.5 Diesel

This truck looks nice just curious about the engine, never hear good things about these engines making any power, so my question is, do u think the engine will be strong with these upgrades

Sent front camo cased otterbox iphone

it will be faster than the average 6.5 and a lot more reliable with the reduced compression

Pretty clean looking but no way I'd pay anywhere near that for it. My grandpa has snapped a crank at 200000. The reman engine he had broke the crank in a 1000 miles. Has cracked 3 heads and cracked a piston. It has some updates to fix a few of the common problems but I'd trust an idi ford 3:1 over a 6.5. A 12 valve even more.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Of course you can trust a 12v more. You can pour sand into the valve covers and it would still run and make big power. (I like to think so anyways.

I'd buy that truck in a heartbeat, if it were what I was looking for. Worst case, you drop a duramax in it when the 6.5 pukes. Chances are there's alot of use left in that motor and as long as you take care of it you'll be fine. If you're after a motor that you can mod for major power gains a 6.5 is not that.

Last edited:
If it is in fact a PEN 18:1 long block, I would say the engine is good to go. The new OPTIMIZERS are a different animal entirely from the 6.5's GM built, and several out there are pushing 30+ pounds of boost and all the fuel they can to try and tear them up, and they're still going. His price seems a bit high for a truck with an electrical issue, but that longblock costs almost $7K by itself now. It won't be a 12 valve for power, but they will surprise many when modded properly(and can be pretty reliable).

Ive got over 200k on a 96 dually. Its been all over the country pulling a trailer and still runs good. If your wanting a tow pig I would pass on it. To daily drive I wouldn't hesitate to buy one

When i was reading it i figured since he got a LC block, and a IC it would be a little more reliable but still make a little power. I think for my first diesel i would stay away as i dont know much about the 6.5s thanks for your help guys

Sent front camo cased otterbox iphone

The 6.5L is GREAT is you keep a couple things in mind...

1. The design was for reliable, fuel efficiency and low noise.
2. The $/hp up to ~280 crank hp @ 20psi is relatively cheap. The Cummins PST are FAR more equipped for power. The most I have heard of people running on a stock block IC truck is 25-28psi.
3. Follow the basic recommendations from the aftermarket and the truck will live a LONG HAPPY LIFE. For instance install the PMD on a cooler in an area with good air flow. Upgrade the cooling system; add lube to the fuel to help the inj pump live and add head studs above ~15 psi.
4. Look for what you WANT and are willing to pay. I have bought 3 different 6.5L TD trucks 94 C1500 ext cab, 95 K1500 hvy half and currently 94 K1500 2 dr yukon for the max kingly sum of $2800 OTD.
5. Ease of repair; typically cheap parts. The only thing simpler is mechanical injection diesel. All of the parts exluding the engine itself are small block chevy/Gm cheap. The specific engine parts are typically cheaper than any of the Big 3.

I LOVE my 6.5L TD for cheap, easy low cost Diesel power. After towing with my 6.5L I refuse to return to gas. This is MHO please take it as you wish.

GL on your search

Back